KCBS Team Name Variation

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just looked at the results of (almost) every KCBS competition in Tennessee for 2011. I then looked at team name variations, and I wanted to some of the results with the forum. No, not every team name had variations, but a lot did, and these aren't even all of them! Does any one not see a problem with this?

My personal favorite is this first one. Are these all the same team or not?

Soggy Bottom Smoke Pit
SOGGY BOTTOM SMOKE PIT
Soggy Bottom Smokers

A few of these teams are spelled differently for every TN competition!

Bubba Tennessee Smokers
BUBBA'S TENNESSEE SMOK
Bubba's Tennessee Smoker
Bubba's Tennessee Smoker
Bubba's TN Smokers

Butts, Bellies & Buddies
Butts, Bellies, & Buddie

Butts,Bellies&Buddies To
ButtsBellies&Buddies Too

Do Rag Q
DO RAG Q
DoRag Q
DoRagQ
DoRagQ
Do-Rag-Q

Fat, Drunk and Stupid
Fat, Drunk and Stupid
Fat,Drunk & Stupid BBQ T

Firehouse Smokers TN
Firehouse Smokers TN
FIREHOUSE SMOKERS TN
Fireshouse Smokers Tn

Gettin Piggy With It
Gettin' Piggy With It
Getting Piggy With It

GOVERNERS B-B-Q
Governors BBQ
Governor's BBQ
Governor's BBQ

G Que
G Que
G-Que
G-Que

House of Hickory
House of Hickory BBQ
House of Hickory BBQ
HOUSE OF HICKORY BBQ

JR Grillers
Jr. Grillers

K & K Kookers
K&K Kookers
K&K Kookers

Kennie's Kountry Kookers
Kinney Kountry Kookers
Kinney's Kountry Kookers

Masters BBQ
MASTERS BBQ
Master's BBQ

Que'n Stew'n & Brew'n
Que'n, Stew'n & Brew'n

Rocky Top Barbeque
Rocky Top BBQ

Smokin N Turnin
Smokin-n-Turnin
Smokin-N-Turnin

SOH Vending & Catering
SOH Vending and Catering

Southern Krunk BBQ Socie
Southern KrunkBarBQue So

Swine Crue
Swine Cruw

The Algood Bar-B-Q Pit C
THE ALGOOD BAR-B-Q PIT C
The Algood BarBQ Pit Cre
The Algood BBQ Pit Crew
TheAlgood Bar-B-Q PitCre

Thunder Road Smokehouse
Thunder-Road-Smokehouse

Warren Co. Pork Choppers
Warren Co. Pork Choppers
Warren County Pork Chopp
Warren County PorkChoppe

In the last two years, we've had out team name incorrect 5 times.

If you see it wrong, call KCBS. As of the last I've hurd, that's all you can do....

Oh, and yes it is a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

hrmm....I wonder, if there were a campaign to have every one call the office and correct this mess, might there be a stronger desire from the KCBS to prevent it from happening in the first place?

dmp

Isn't the real issue the person (organizer) taking team names from entry forms. I write or type "The Basic BBQ Team" every comp and frequently "Basic BBQ" is what ends up being posted. It is a more serious issue for teams with sponsors but it sure seems it is mostly the organizing staff...isn;t it.

I'd say that's a chicken and egg question. Is it the responsibillity of event staff and reps to enter the team name exactly as submitted, or is it the responsibillity of the KCBS to ensure that erroneous team names, including typos and intententional appreviations do not make their way to the database? Currently neither one is happening. My personal opinion, both should be happening.

dmp

my favorite is when the names are too long for the scoring software so the reps take new and exciting liberties with the names.

This can also lead to the discussion that teams should be based on a head cook not team name, which I know was a thread couple weeks back. I am part of a team of 3 to 4 and I usually send the application in so I use my name. But my dad, who is part of the team, send the application in, he will still use my name as head cook. He says it just makes it easier. Our team name used to be Cue's your daddy. U don't know how many times they would change it to Que's your daddy or even Q's your daddy.

There is a team registration with KCBS, but it is tied to a member's KCBS number. More importantly, from what I have heard, there is no feature in KCBScore to validate team names against the ones registered in the KCBS membership database.

dmp

They have messed our name up a few times...so I feel ya'lls pain

1. You correct the KCBS program to allow long team names
2. You box out the team name on the application. That way 1 letter per box, and if it is not legible it is the team's fault.
3. I say scantron bubble sheets for judging, and for filling out team names on applications. Bubble sheets scan instantly, and the technology is well proven.

Take the $10,000 that KCBS wants to use to go on their European Vacation and buy (like new) bubble readers and software from a school supply depot. Do a pilot program, see how the reps like it. If it sucks then you can probably sell them back at close to value...

It will fix name problems, team mis-spelllings, improve time going thru scorecards...win win.

Seems to me this could be fixed by having the team named registered with KCBS and then that team name would be assigned a team number. All cooks that can be considered the head cook (or even just a member for that matter) for that team can then have their membership number associated with that team number. So let's say "My Favorite Q Team" is assigned a team number of 55511 and Ken (member 12324), Bob (member 34524), and Fred (44263) are all potentially head cooks or members of team number 55511. Fred may also be a potential head cook or member for team number 44423, etc.

I do believe that someone will still need to be assigned as the primary head of the team so that you have a person who is capable of adding or deleting members associated with the team number.

This systems lessens the potential for mistakes while still allowing a member to be a part of multiple teams.

Not all teams are KCBS Members so the membership number would not work without requiring membership.
At every contest we have been to our Rep inspects our meat, provides numbered boxes and shows the listing of our team name for our approval. If seen wrong the correction is made for the records. Pretty simple plan that works. I do see a lot of teams not take the time to assure a correct spelling but the opportunity was there. Just my thoughts.

See here's the thing: I realize that a team can correct their own name on site at a comp, and maybe even post facto via a phone call, but that doesn't really solve the problem that I am having, because it's not about my team name. It's about me trying to look back over a year (or less) of competitions and compile results from multiple competitions into some standings. If team A doesn't care enough to confirm and correct their name, then I have to reconcile the data. I know there are other entities that do this, and I could attempt to implement some form of scrubbing algorithm, but that's not 100% accurate and is a pain.

dmp

Back