• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

prime rib q

timmy7649

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
so if i had a 15 lb prime rib and wanted to cook it at 300* in my uds, how long would it take to get to 140*? thats with a resting period of 1 hr. doing it for my buddys b day party. dont really want to cook it for 15 hours. thanks in advance for the help.

Can't speak to the UDS, but I've done them plenty of times in my in my WSM @300-325, and it would probably be pulled and coolered at about 2.5 - 3 hours.

No way is it going to take 15 hours to cook. Your looking at probably 2-3 hours. Also I would pull before 140*, that's getting close to well done after resting. I would pull around 125-130* for medium rare to medium.
What he said. I try to pull mine at these temps and let it rise to medium rare.

I never done one on a UDS but I cook a rib roast on my Weber kettle at 200 for a half hour a pound. Comes out tender and juicy every time. :cool:

I do mine a t 225-250, 15 lbs is large but never needs 15 hours. I would guess about 5. And pull it at about 130, foil and towel for 30 to 45 minutes. Good luck, save me some and show us the prons.

thanks guys. sounds like 130* ill pull it off and foil and towel it and into the ice chest. one other question, how long can it rest in the cooler do you think? that is before it will be over done. but i think coolering it does not keep it cooking?

Just cooked up several this past weekend. I cut the 15lbers in two and they still took 2 hours plus at 280ish.

thanks guys. sounds like 130* ill pull it off and foil and towel it and into the ice chest. one other question, how long can it rest in the cooler do you think? that is before it will be over done. but i think coolering it does not keep it cooking?

I did that with a Lamb that I just cooked. It was wrapped for over three hours. This is how it looked when it came out.

Sliced.jpg

Just cooked up several this past weekend. I cut the 15lbers in two and they still took 2 hours plus at 280ish.

Cutting them in half will not significantly affect the cook time, but it will give you twice the number of ends for those that prefer them.

Cutting them in half will not significantly affect the cook time, but it will give you twice the number of ends for those that prefer them.

why wouldnt halving the size of the roast reduce the cooking time? i would think that it would pretty big difference based on rules of thumb regarding cooking times based on weight of roast. whats the exception here?

Last edited:
why wouldnt halving the size of the roast reduce the cooking time? i would think that it would pretty big difference based on rules of thumb regarding cooking times based on weight of roast. whats the exception here?

It's because you're not cooking from the ends to the middle alone. If that were the case there would be a drastic difference. Splitting it allows more surface area for the hot air to contact and will reduce cooking time some, I'd wager around 10 to maybe 15%

thanks everyone. if we are having that and chicken quarters for 25 people how much meat would you advise me to cook? plus there will be various sides.

Remember if you pull at 130ish that is pretty rare. When I cooked prime for a lot of different people I go to 137-140 maybe a tad lower but that gives a chance for people who like rarer pieces to go for them from the middle. And others to get them from the outer sides for more a medium...just a thought i know my wife still doesn't want to see blood on a plate no matter what i do or tell her. there could be people like her in the crowd.....best of luck

thanks. i agree with you got14u. the birthday boy likes his medium. so i think i will pull it about 137*. how thick do you slice them when you serve.

Back