• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lol

029 or 129??? Remember those? I'm an ex COBOL programmer tried & true! And yes, it appears to me someone is raking someone over the proverbial coals...
I used to do systems work for IBM back in the MVT/VM/MVS days.

PICTURE 88 !!!

That's just the latest incarnation. That's not counting the previous debacle that was going to cost $70,000. Of course with all the delays and change orders from KCBS InDevX is probably up to that by now. This is the second time they have lost the programmer working on it. I guess they only employ one programmer at a time.
Maybe KCBS is their only active IT development client?

I communicated with someone on the board on the topic of issuing team numbers in lieu of using the head cook's KCBS number in the scoring system. What started as a nice back and forth quickly turned defensive. I was told the project had been going on for five years and has seen "three programmers, a change in the database manager, and a myriad of other circumstances" that has delayed the project. It appears that it is too late for changes (although a change order is being issued for a new programmer) and that the developer has been "very kind with their charges".

As a previous contracting officer for huge IT projects, and manager of a development team for some very complex data collection and reporting systems, this scoring system (by itself) is a nine month project at the most, IMHO.

at best InDevX website is buggy!

info should not point to woothemes:shock:, contact, should not point to your email client,,,:shock:

EDIT: ok, I looked at the portfolio,,, I spoken to soon, they really knock it out the park for the clients. but, whats up with the wootheme, and to:mail links?

Last edited:
I started with Fortran 66 on OS 370/VM. Despite that language having no data types for anything but numbers (no letters) it could have been written in that by now.

It could be done in a couple of days on force.com. I don't think 70k is unreasonable, but the timeframe is. Using the chief cook's number is also completely useless for our team, since we have 2 pitmasters and split contest registrations between us. Under the new system, our ranking will be wrong all the time. It was just a poor design choice because it makes an assumption (teams have only one head cook) that isn't always true.

Using the chief cook's number is also completely useless for our team, since we have 2 pitmasters and split contest registrations between us. Under the new system, our ranking will be wrong all the time. (teams have only one head cook) that isn't always true.

Hmmm... Can't teams only have one head cook? Otherwise I could have a "team" with "head cooks" all over the country and every weekend compete somewhere, but never actually have the same set of cooks do the cooking... ie whoever has a contest in their hometown or nearby cooks under the team name that weekend. Doesn't seem right...

IMHO a team can have many members... but the designated "head cook" should be present at every comp...

Maybe I'm confused...

Sorry for the deviation off topic...

Hmmm... Can't teams only have one head cook? Otherwise I could have a "team" with "head cooks" all over the country and every weekend compete somewhere, but never actually have the same set of cooks do the cooking... ie whoever has a contest in their hometown or nearby cooks under the team name that weekend. Doesn't seem right...

IMHO a team can have many members... but the designated "head cook" should be present at every comp...

Maybe I'm confused...

Sorry for the deviation off topic...

I believe this is only true in KCBS if there are 2 different contests with the same turn in day. In KCBS, if you have 2 contests with a turn in day on different days, such as 1 with a turn in day of Saturday and 1 with a turn in day of Sunday, you can actually enter both contests under the same team name with two different head cooks and be inside the parameters of the rules. If I'm wrong, I apologize and please correct me if so.

Hmmm... Can't teams only have one head cook?

No, no restriction on that. You just can't cook in two locations that have turn ins on the same day. It's a team event, not a personal competition, right? The new scoring system turns KCBS into a personal event, not a team event.

I could have written it for a TI-86.

also there are lots of IT type guys in bbq...though seems like most of them are hardware guys.

Software guy here. I could have this written in days, not weeks or months. Including a full REST based api. Does anyone have an idea of the specs? If I had a copy of those I would write this thing for them for nothing.

Software guy here. I could have this written in days, not weeks or months. Including a full REST based api. Does anyone have an idea of the specs? If I had a copy of those I would write this thing for them for nothing.

Maybe you should email the BOD and make this offer.

them building out a proper API would be an awesome development for bbqrace.com and nationalbbqrankings.com and my wheels are spinning thinking of the amazing reporting that we could do on the information once it was all opened up.

them building out a proper API would be an awesome development for bbqrace.com and nationalbbqrankings.com and my wheels are spinning thinking of the amazing reporting that we could do on the information once it was all opened up.

My thoughts exactly and an open api would be the reason I would donate my time to something like this. Just a plain old http based system so developers could pull and spin the data as needed. A Kcbs system would be the trusted keeper and repository for the data allowing others to develop consistent applications. Win win for everyone.

Does the Kcbs have a technology steering committee of any kind?

The KCBS comittees are typically a board member and a couple of his/her friends. The interaction with the entire membership is pretty limited. But you know, this would be a great way to start a positive change.
The obstacle is probably an existing contract.

Candy Weaver is the President so she'd probably be a good place to start. cweaver@kcbs.us If you get directed to the Executive Director (where many good ideas go to die) let us know and we'll find you a BOD member willing to help.

IBM 370-145 1/2MB memory I could still wire a board for the sorter if need be. LOL

Back