Smoke Flavoring in BBQ

How important is the flavored smoke from certain woods like cherry, apple, pecan, hic

• very important (gotta have it or you'll lose)

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • kinda important (would like to have it but forgot to bring it)

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • not important (I just use oak)

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I could really give a rats $*#!

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, I have been doing some research on wood pellets this morning and have come to a question I want to ask. I am going to put this up as a poll so I can keep a better eye on the outcome(plus it seems that polls are popular these last few days).

How important is the flavored smoke from certain woods like cherry, apple, pecan, hickory....etc compared to say just oak in bbq'd meats?

I have a strong preferred variety, and I think it does make a difference, so I use it when possible, especially on some particular cuts.

I wanted to answer, but it appears your asking about a contest (losing, and forgetting to bring)

Personally, I think its important for my own results. I can't recall a Thanksgiving that did not have apple wood on hand, paying $$ to get it shipped to my house.

Its not a competition meat, but the importance of the flavor to me is still there.

I thought smoke flavoring was what BBQ was about. And isnt that what you are referring to by saying
compared to say just oak in bbq'd meats?

Doesn't oak give smoke flavor too?

I'm kinda confused.

I thought smoke flavoring was what BBQ was about. And isnt that what you are referring to by saying

Doesn't oak give smoke flavor too?

I'm kinda confused.

Smoke is an ingrediant sort of like ancho chile vs. chipotle. However, when you mix these with other spices you get different layers of flavors.

Does this farking make sense:biggrin:

Yes. But my pallette isn't sophisticated enough to tell one smoke from another.

I voted 'kinda important' I would like to have a mix of cherry, apple, pecan and hickory to choose from. However 80% of the time I just have hickory and I still turn out good 'que. For comps I do try and have at least some cherry for the pork.

You are not really supposeed to. The flavor of the meat changes slightly!:tongue:

Seriously try different combinations and see what taste is your preference. Surely, you can tell when something has been smoked with straight mesquite.

Last edited:
I enjoy oak as a good flavor for smoke in meats - I think a better example would be smoking on briquettes.

I never had smoked on fruit wood until this last year and really love the aroma from the smoker. I had a piece of plum the other day and I could smell the flavor coming from the smoker. It was awesome.

While I am at the hunting lodge I usually smoke on mesquite solely because we have a bunch of it around and it is free.

You are not really suppose. The flavor of the meat changes slightly!:tongue:

Seriously try different combinations and see what taste is your preference. Surely, you can tell when something has been smoked with straight mesquite.

Don't think I ever had anything smoked with straight mesquite. Only mesquite lump.

Don't think I ever had anything smoked with straight mesquite. Only mesquite lump.

Mesquite has a much smokier flavor than oak or hickory. Since I live in Texas half the barbecue is smoked on mesquite so I don't complain, but I do prefer a more mild smoke than mesquite, or using it in a combination with some other woods.

What the hell does "Not Important (I just use oak)" mean? JUST use oak? I think smoke IS important and I can get good flavor from JUST oak.

I voted that you have to have it. Not to win but to taste good. I personally have a thing for pecan and cherry mixed, but I don't have a problem with apple, oak or hickory either.

I do think that if you don't run some type of wood smoke across the meat while it's cooking that it will not be quite as tasty IMHO.

What the hell does "Not Important (I just use oak)" mean? JUST use oak? I think smoke IS important and I can get good flavor from JUST oak.
I guess what I mean by that is for instance, I burn oak as a base wood, not for flavor. I add other wood for flavor. Sometimes I use apple, sometimes I use pecan. I never use oak for just flavor because to me oak doesn't add alot of flavor when using it as a base heat source.

I use whatever wood Ive got. I never buy wood so Im always pulling something out of the woodpile for Q. As luck (bad luck) would have it, a wind storm took down a big old apple tree at my dad's house. This will be ready to go soon. Im using up the last of some cherry now. I use oak and hickory mostly.

I'm like BigMista, I'm not sophisticated enough to tell one smoke from another.
I always start with briqs then switch to whatever wood Ive got.

I guess what I mean by that is for instance, I burn oak as a base wood, not for flavor. I add other wood for flavor. Sometimes I use apple, sometimes I use pecan. I never use oak for just flavor because to me oak doesn't add alot of flavor when using it as a base heat source.

I agree with Countryhb. Oak definately adds a flavor to the que although very subtle. Apple doesn't add alot more flavor than Oak. Both are very mild woods. I prefer mild woods because it is very easy to oversmoke your food especially when using a stick burner. Now that I have retired the Lang and use a vertical (Spicewine) I routinely add oak and apple for their flavors.

I use whatever wood Ive got. I never buy wood so Im always pulling something out of the woodpile for Q. As luck (bad luck) would have it, a wind storm took down a big old apple tree at my dad's house. This will be ready to go soon. Im using up the last of some cherry now. I use oak and hickory mostly.

I'm like BigMista, I'm not sophisticated enough to tell one smoke from another.
I always start with briqs then switch to whatever wood Ive got.
I agree, the only smoke I can distinguish is mesquite. Maybe if I had cherry more often, I could tell.

I agree with Mista. Different woods give the meat different flavors, but I can't tell what wood was used unless it's mesquite or hickory.
Dave

Back