**SPECIAL** Discussion Thread -> "Holiday Feasts, Brethren Style!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

so before I screw up, I've already posted, and I see that I can post more than one entry, but do both get entered or just the most recent one? I'm not sure which one I want to use…but I"d like to enter both!

so before I screw up, I've already posted, and I see that I can post more than one entry, but do both get entered or just the most recent one? I'm not sure which one I want to use…but I"d like to enter both!
Per Moose's original Throwdown post: "Multiple entries are both allowed, and encouraged"

Steak. It's what's for dinner.

Okay, per above, here's my entry for the Holiday Feast Throwdown entry. My buddy surprised me with some Prime Ribeye under one condition….I gotta cook it for him! Simple enough. We splurged for our last steak of 2013 an both concurred it was the best steak we'd ever had.

Please accept the last picture with the wine glass and ornaments in the background as my entry shot. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dang there's a lot of great entries in this one!!!

Got to get em in if you're gonna, this is the last day of the month folks!!!!!

Dang there's a lot of great entries in this one!!!

Got to get em in if you're gonna, this is the last day of the month folks!!!!!

Not quite, Dave. You still have till this Sunday, so keep 'em coming:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 12/6 through Sunday 1/5/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 1/6/14.

:mrgreen:

Feast TD Brisket Entry!

I would like to humbly enter the Holiday Feast TD with my New Years Eve brisket. It started out at 15.5 lbs. but trimmed lightly.

The OakRidge Black Ops rub made an excellent bark and I was real pleased with the smoke ring. One of my better briskets here...

Please accept this photo below as my entry. Great dinner...I did have two more slices on a soft white roll, not counting the taste testing during slicing.

Thanks for looking!

Please accept this as my entry for this throwdown. Use the third picture for the throwdown.

First I dry aged this standing rib roast for a week and a day.

DSC_8375-PP.JPG

DSC_8433-PP.JPG

After several hours on the smoker - please use this picture for the throwdown.

DSC_8438-PP.JPG

There is some great food posted to this throwdown and I know my entry is not really competitive, particularly without a really nice looking plated picture. It was fantastic and I owe that to the information I get from the folks here who rather than keeping their techniques a secret generously share the smallest detail so others may benefit. Consider this an homage to all of you!

Thanks!

Please accept this as my entry for this throwdown. Use the third picture for the throwdown.

DSC_8375-PP.JPG

DSC_8433-PP.JPG

After several hours on the smoker - please use this picture for the throwdown.

DSC_8438-PP.JPG

There is some great food posted to this throwdown and I know my entry is not really competitive, particularly without a really nice looking plated picture. It was fantastic and I owe that to the information I get from the folks here who rather than keeping their techniques a secret generously share the smallest detail so others may benefit. Consider this an homage to all of you!

Thanks!

Hank,

Nice entry! :clap2:

Just because you didn't use a plated pic as your entry doesn't mean it won't be a contender. We've had numerous winning entries over the years that were not plated shots. :thumb:

Hank,

Nice entry! :clap2:

Just because you didn't use a plated pic as your entry doesn't mean it won't be a contender. We've had numerous winning entries over the years that were not plated shots. :thumb:

Yep. I believe a ham recently won with no plated pic as the entry...:becky:

DSC_8375-PP.JPG

DSC_8433-PP.JPG

As gross and unsafe as dry age steaks look, there's just not many things out there more beautiful then when you first pull it out of the fridge with that weird little cruddy layer of aging on it....bbq addiction problems.
:grin:

So we took our second annual Lutsen Ski trip over the Christmas Break and needed to feed a small army. In this case a small army was two adults one child and 5 teens. How is that 5 teenagers can eat like 15 adults?

Time to pull out the cute kid crutch.

Here is our little bean getting read to take on the mountain.

On her way past Poplar Creek

Ok enough of the crutch stuff

My official entry is 16 pounds of pulled pork cooked on Christmas Eve and into Christmas Day.

Pulled and sauced with a little Blues Hog

And bought back to life a couple days later.

Official Entry Pic (I had nothing to do with the shirt :wink:)

Not quite, Dave. You still have till this Sunday, so keep 'em coming:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 12/6 through Sunday 1/5/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 1/6/14.

:mrgreen:
Thanks Mr. Moose :hail:

We all know how good I read and follow directions :laugh:

Sooooooo now it's time to get em in by tomorrow morning by 6am CST

And before it gets so farkin cold your cameras/cell phones freeze up :heh:

Please accept this Official Entry into the "Holiday Feasts, Brethren Style" TD

This is my official entry titled, "What she does will an overcooked pig leg."

I smoked this pig leg the week before Christmas during a run of overwhelmingly busy days. Got the kamado set up quick before heading to bed, rubbed it with what was in the catch-all jar of unused homemade rubs and tossed everything in Dragona's fiery belly licketty-split. Woke up in the morning to a cold kamado and a partially cooked pig leg. No time to fire up the kamado again so I set it in the oven at 200 and left to deal with another busy day. Turns out I got home several hours later than I planned and that leg was cooked. Overcooked and dry to be precise. Because I cannot throw away food and because I'm almost as stubborn as Landarc I spent the next week dreaming up ways to rehabilitate my ham. Tourtiére! The next chance I had to smoke it we were in a cold snap so I said, "Kathy, why don't you do a dry run in the oven, then change anything that needs it and smoke a second one for the TD?" Done. Turned out to be a very dry pie but the flavour was there and good. Served it smothered with creamed peas and saved the day! Made some adjustments, went with my gut when I needed to and voila`, tonight's dinner was good. I used small dice carrots and onions to give moisture the first time but they didn't do enough. I also forgot to put in an egg. Tonight I grated the carrot and onion to release more moisture and went with my gut and used three eggs. Worked beautifully, it tastes good and is moist so it doesn't need to be smothered with anything. The biggest problem today was I couldn't get my charcoal chimney to STAY lit no matter what. Snow storm with winds gusting to 31 mph. This is how much snow fell about 90 minutes after I cleared it away from the door. I'm sad to say I baked the farker in the oven. :mad: At least the pig leg was initially cooked on the smoker. :drama:

This is a cook that had pretty much everything that could go wrong actually go wrong. The good news -- it tasted great! It was a gluten free pastry, really easy to make and I managed to screw that up with the first pie, too. :doh: The second pie pastry was good, though. :bow:

Please use the photo below for voting. Thanks for looking!

Back