Buckboard Bacon

D

ddog27

Well I did it. I put the buckboard bacon cure on 15 pounds of boneless pork butt. I put the cure on late Monday night so I am going to count Tuesday as day one. I will take some pictures and keep you updated on how it goes!!

You're in for the longest wait of your life. But, it'll be worth it when it's done. Good luck with it.

I'm still waiting on my BBB cure from Hi Mountain, so in the meantime I am trying the 50/50 tenderquick and brown sugar 7 day cure. We'll see which turns out best:biggrin:

Good Luck!!! I usually let my Hi Mountain go for 14 days and then do the rinse/soak/repeat...

Last time I made it, just before putting it on the BGE, I coated it with maple syrup & cracked pepper... Good Stuff!!!

D-Dog- You make that cure yourself like your rubs or is it commercial?

After 12 days for curing, I smoked my buckboard bacon on Saturday night and fried some up on Sunday. Let me tell you this stuff is incredible!!!! It tastes so good. I am hooked. I fried up enough to make some sandwiches. If anyone is thinking about trying this and making some, do it! You won’t be sorry!

I will post some pictures later!

I have a 5lb butt that will be coming out today or tomorrow! With all of the sausage and bacon I have been making I am finally get ahead of the family.

I have a 5lb butt that will be coming out today or tomorrow!

Does the texture of the meat change as its curing?

I rubbed down a 5# pork loin, sliced in half, on Friday morning with some Hi Mountain. Looking to make a more Canadian Bacon style then using the pork butt.

Late last night, I decided to flip it over and will do so every other day, just to ensure the meat has equal time in the pulled out moisture.

Even after 2+ days, the portion under the liquid seemed to have a harder texture to it.

I assume its because the liquid (fat and water) is being extracted by the salt cure.

Is this normal?

I cant honestly tell you that I have noticed, I will say once it is smoked it seems to have a drier appearance, at least on the outside.

I smoked my first attempt last week afetr using the tenderquick/brownsugar. All i can say is OMG!!!!!! I wish I had done this a long time ago. I have 10lbs of butt right now in the fridge with Hi Mountains cure on it. I cant wait. It should be said that the "Make more than you think you'll need" rule of fatties applies to BBB also.

I cant honestly tell you that I have noticed, I will say once it is smoked it seems to have a drier appearance, at least on the outside.

Did you notice before you smoked though? I'm not talking about texture (or chew) but strictly on outside feel.

It is also on the bottom shelf of the fridge, but I do not think it is so cold that it is hard chilled/near frozen. My fridge doesnt get that cold.

Did you notice before you smoked though? I'm not talking about texture (or chew) but strictly on outside feel.

It is also on the bottom shelf of the fridge, but I do not think it is so cold that it is hard chilled/near frozen. My fridge doesnt get that cold.
In answer to your question, yes it does seem to 'tighten up' the raw meat a little... I've done the 'cure' on pork butt for two weeks then did the rinse/soak/repeat (3 times for an hour soak each time) and then put it back in the fridge (uncovered and on a rack over night) and it came out fine...

Any questions, give me a call and we can talk about it...:rolleyes:

Back