• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilled Steak au Poivre

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This isn't usually grilled; Steak au poivre is generally pan seared steak seasoned heavily with cracked pepper and salt. When the steaks are cooked, the pan is deglazed with cognac, brandy, etc., and flamed. Then cream or butter is added. Once the sauce coats the back of a spoon, it's ready to go, and the steaks are put back in the sauce and served.

I grilled the steaks, though, and got some cheap cubed round steak to use for fond in the pan. It worked great, and I ended up with steak sandwiches for a couple of days, too.

I started with half a tenderloin:
1792927681_29d877cc4a.jpg

I trimmed off the silverskin and fat.
1792933503_ad46118c3f.jpg

Then I cut it into steaks.
1792939333_d9e8c98ac3.jpg

I added the cubed steaks to season.
1793788404_e29bbba750.jpg

1793796356_84b418985b.jpg

Then I fired up the grill and put the steaks on. The cubed steaks were done in a pan on the grill, too, just not on the grate.
1793807804_ed01c56d23.jpg

1792976747_70f8418970.jpg

When the cubed steaks were done, I added cognac and lit the cognac. don't do this without adult supervision!
1793813158_27042a6f8d.jpg

The steak was sliced and put on a warmer for a party.
1793000549_dc30671962.jpg

I'm just trying to figure out how to do some of those inside dishes outside instead. The cubed steak cost less than $1.50 for both slices. That would have been ok if they were just throw aways, but I'm able to have them as pretty good leftovers, too. I wouldn't feed them to guests, but I don't mind them for lunch.

I'll credit you when I write it, Richard... Don't hold your breath, though. :)

I'm going to Curt's house for supper. If you have not visited his site, please do. This farker can really cook.

curt, is that like a steak diane? Looks good!

Steak Diane usually has mushrooms and uses cognac or brandy and madiera wine. This will give a sweeter flavor. Steak au poivre means steak with pepper... lots of pepper, then a cognac cream sauce. very different flavor profiles.

Thanks, Arlin. :)

I'm just trying to figure out how to do some of those inside dishes outside instead. The cubed steak cost less than $1.50 for both slices. That would have been ok if they were just throw aways, but I'm able to have them as pretty good leftovers, too. I wouldn't feed them to guests, but I don't mind them for lunch.

The old "sacrificial lesser cut". Good going.
Looks good.

qman, I didn't sacrifice the cubed steak... I had sandwiches! :)

Yeah, I know. I read that. I save the meat for myself when I do it too. Just always refered to it as a sacrifice because I first saw the technique--or at least a version of it--in Auguste Escoffier's work, and that it what he called it.:-D

I figured if it is good enough for Auguste, it is good enough for me.

Thanks, Mike.

qman, my dad used to always save off a couple of pieces that we got to eat while grilling, since my stepmom and sister stayed inside, and we called it the sacrificial meat, too.

Perfectly logical, Curt.
The priests ate most of the sacrifice's in the Old Testament too.

There's no gravy on top of it:shock::shock::shock::!:

Looks great Curt. It's getting to be that time of year again, comfort food and all.

I've always wanted to ask too, do you have to be able to speak Japanese to use that Shun cutlery?:icon_bigsmil

Keale, thanx for bringing up Steak Diane. I haven't made that for years, and it used to be one of my favorites, you know one of those that you forget about making because you haven't for so long.

I'll be having some in the very new future.

Tim, Shun knives say 'Sharp' in whatever language you cook in. :)

that could be their new slogan!

Tim, Shun knives say 'Sharp' in whatever language you cook in. :)

that could be their new slogan!

Definitely quality stuff, and not for the lean of budget. I really like that Damascus twist steel. I have an old shotgun with a damascus barrel.

How long did it take you to get used to the straight handles? I must admit that they feel nice, just different.

Back