I won a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain!

MossyMO

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got an email from the Sting Killer Facebook page telling me I won a 22.5 WSM! I replied and they got back to me saying I should have it in a week or two; we'll see... I have been quietly wanting one for a while now and am very excited!

I have plenty of experience grilling and smoking off offsets, Weber kettles, pellet grills etc. but have never used a WSM... what should my first cook be? Any tips or suggestions on firing it up the first time would be appreciated!

That's a nice score. Anything cooks up good in the WSMs, well except for whole hog. Fatty's are a popular break in item.

The more meat gets cooked in it, the faster it'll develop a nice "gunk" seal. Since they're porcelain coated, no need for a seasoning burn.

Congrats!

Easy first try smokes would be fatties and/or pork butts!
Or a smoked meatloaf is great and won't take all that long either.
Whole chicken?

Kinda just depends on how long of a cook you're looking to do your first time out. The possibilities are ENDLESS!

Read up on the Minion Method on the WSM if you are not familiar with it.
Very long and stable burns that way.

As said, Butts, Fatties, Meatloaf, maybe even some ribs are a great first cook in a WSM to learn it's nuances. Easey Peasey to operate.

With your experience, you will have it rockin' and rollin' in no time! :grin:

I loved my WSM when I had it.

TIM

Great score! Can't wait to hear how you like it and be sure the share some pr0n with us...

Congrats! +1 on the fatties and pork butts; my first cook on my WSM was a pork butt and a couple of fatties...coasted through it, these pits are amazing. Happy Smoking!

Wow, Congratulations Marty!! :grin:

Back