New chicken cooker for comps.

Ken V

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Stopped by a local hardware store over the weekend and they had a 18.5 wsm in their weber display. The sticker was 199.99, I mulled it over all weekend and told myself if it was still there today I would buy it, it was still there and I bought it. When they put the sku # in the price came up at $279.99 but the lady said it was mismarked so I got it at $199.99. Now to practice. Any mods needed or recommended?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1313450397147.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313450397147.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 250
I haven't modded mine any and it cooks like a charm! Holds temps great!

yeah, take out the middle section to cook chicken. :razz:

nice score. good choice.

Great smoker Ken, I've had several. For smoking I used sand in the pan and covered the top of the pan double with heavy duty foil. For chicken I used to take out the pan, make a hot fire, and let her rip. Stay close by though.

Rub, maybe you can dig up your pic of your old double stack WSM...that was a classic!:wink:

Rub, maybe you can dig up your pic of your old double stack WSM...that was a classic!:wink:
Here it is... http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/increasecapacity.html

ufreak1.jpg

if you take out the water pan it isn't that biga deal...

until you take the lid off.

i cooked 400 chicken wings in 2 hours like that and it gets DICEY. watch that fire!

Thanks Rub, going to do some playing tomorrow with it. hopefully this will work out good for the chicken, been doing all 4 meats on the 222 and it gets a little crowded and then trying to ramp up for chicken while other meats are still on plays on my mind a little.

Sounds like a great plan Ken, that should work out nicely.

I take out the water pan to make it cook like a small drum. I like 375ish.

Thanks Rub, going to do some playing tomorrow with it. hopefully this will work out good for the chicken, been doing all 4 meats on the 222 and it gets a little crowded and then trying to ramp up for chicken while other meats are still on plays on my mind a little.
I became fundamentally happier when I split my chicken out of the same cooker. Excellent choice. You'll be happy with the cooker and the added flexibility.

She's a beauty! I cook my comp chicken on one just like it. You won't be disappointed. I leave the pan in and leave it empty.

You can get aftermarket doors for the WSM if your door bends and doesn't seal well, but it's a nice cooker out of the box. I have a Klose offset on a trailer, and an FEC100, but I will take the WSM out for spin now and then. (Used it last weekend for the Kingsford point chase in Maine- was 2nd.)

The biggest mod is to take a large thermometer (gas grill style) from HD/lowes/walmart and thread it into the lid vent. (On mine, it reads about 20-25 hotter than the bottom grate - easy enough to adjust for.) I haven't seen that style of thermo recently though, so sourcing it might be an adventure.

The only other thing we did to ours (before getting a stoker) was to always foil-wrap the water pan w/ heavy-duty foil. (You have to be careful to not get the foil into the water, since it will suck it up underneath.) If you are using sand, I'd just wrap the whole thing. It keeps the porcelain nice and clean and prevents the pan from warping. Mine has survived 5 or 6 years of year-round backyard with just those mods and an as-needed (usually twice a year) deep clean of the inside walls with a grill brush and a hose..

Oh, and you -really- want a cover. The way the stack is designed, any water will be pulled inside.. nothing like coming out the night after a cook to deal with a soupy ashy mess..

Back