View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Sniff, sigh, brings a tear to my eye. Beautiful man, just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your tips. I've made dozens of batches, but after reading your tamale threads, it should go a little smoother next time. We'll probably find out next week!

Thanks Bob!
These things really are a labor of love. I tell you, I'd give anything, to be able to have one more "Tamale Party" with my grandparents and entire family together again. The good thing is we were able to have enough of them that I can still cherish the memories. Also, because of them, we created some new ones with my parents, and now with my kids too.
Anything I can do to help, just ask!

One more tip. The filling. If you notice, the red ones have more fluid in them while in the steamer and the green one's don't. Keep the fillings semi-dry. A very juicy filling will keep the internal masa raw and makes for a mushy end product. My green chile filling had plenty of fat in it, but not as much liquid. The red had a bit more due to the water in the red chile. I like to use a slotted spoon for the filling. I'll scoop up filling and then press it against the side of the pot to strain excess fluid. That's a trick my grandfather passed on to my dad and then to me. Makes a good bit of difference.

Thanks again everyone!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote