Doing our first competition this weekend

KentuckyLandSales

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Scared as hell. I do catering and everyone just gives us all kinds of compliments at each job - but this is different stuff.

It ought to be interesting - any tips?

Have fun, its not a day at work, keep that in mind, enjoy yourself!

Have fun. Enjoy it. Make the turn-in boxes fairly early so that the meat goes in them
warm/hot just before you hand it in. Then, have fun. ;-)

here's what we normally do - http://www.BBQLexington.com

Just visited your website and was really impressed. I really don't think you will have anything to worry about but since I have never done a real competition I really don't know. Looks to me like you really have it going on. Next time I go through Kentucky I'll have to look you up.

Scared as hell. I do catering and everyone just gives us all kinds of compliments at each job - but this is different stuff.

It ought to be interesting - any tips?

Perryville, Land of the great.
Just cook the best you can,
be as neat as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everyone else said, JUST HAVE FUN. Talk with the other teams. I have never met a team that would not help you with what ever they can. Everyone always has a suggestion.

It's all about the timing of the cooking and the turn in.
If you can do catering, my guess is this will be a breeze for you.
Enjoy it.:wink:

dont forget to make it very very tender and fall off the bone and also make sure it is fork cutable.. not many judges have teeth! :p:p

Have fun and then have fun. Walk around meet the other team and ask questions, and have fun

Advice from a compitition newbie

I've only done three comps, and have learned a lot from all of them... here's a few things I learned...

Talk to your neighbors, ask questions, offer them samples of your food... they are some of the best resources you'll find.

Although you started out with sharp knives, make sure you bring a sharpening stone.

Install a big clock in your cooking area... man does that help!

Write down everything you do, the notes are so valuable for your next comp.

Make sure your tables are high enough for you to comfortably work on without hunching over them. Ohhh my poor back!

Restrict your adult beverage intake... it makes you sleepy and "unattentive".

Bring rain gear... ya' never know.

Lights, cameras, hose and electric cords... bring 'em

Never trust a fart. Nuff said.

Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!!

Back