• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first brisket on WSM

utahusker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Started with a 13.5 lb pre trimmed , around 10 after.

Lit the chimney at 0545, then started trimming and let the cooker stabilize.

I started the cook around 0700.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 222
I forgot to take before pics, which is okay. It's hard to trim with 2 left hands full of thumbs.

Are you cooking to a temp? Most good brisket cooks around here cook until it is probe tender in the thicket part of the flat no matter what the IT is.

Are you cooking to a temp? Most good brisket cooks around here cook until it is probe tender in the thicket part of the flat no matter what the IT is.
No, I'm probing for tenderness. It's very tender in some spots, but gives a little resistance towards the bottom in others on the flat. I think its close, but not quite.

Any suggestions? In other words, does it look okay?

pulled it out and sliced. It's pretty good for my first time, but the bottom of the thin part of the flat is a little tough, but not too bad. Most of it is very moist and tender.

Here's what happened. I know because I've done it before. First know what probe tender really is in the thickest part of the flat and from your last set of pics, it looks like you wrapped it up in a blanket and it continued to cook until it was overdone and that's the reason it flaked.

Reading what the folks are doing here, I've found the brisket end game is all important. Once I pull one at probe tender, I'll let it cool down loosely tin foiled until the IT is about 150*F. That may be 1.5 hours.

Just some FYI. I'm no master at it. On the up side, bet it tastes great!

One more thing, I'll never again do a packer brisket that is not Choice or above.

Good Luck!

It really didn't flake, it was just a little more tough on the fat cap side. I removed the point for the burnt ends, that may be what you're seeing.

Thank you for the advice on (not) using towels, I didn't know about that. Any criticism and advice are welcomed.

Back