Smoked goat??

C

Cutem all Jack

I'm working outta town and I brought my UDS to cook for the guys. I have a jamacan with me who wants me to smoke a goat quarter. I've never ate goat or cooked it. Can anyone give me some pointers? I brought some limited spices with me Lemon pepper, season salt, black pepper, all spice and some garlic salt. Shoot me some ideas. Thanks.

I would ask the Jamaican guy to season it up for ya since he may know what spices and such would give you the flavor profile he's looking for. I know you'll need some allspice.
btw goat is the bomb.

He don't know how to cook. I was thinking about putting some allspice, Montreal steak seasoning and some garlic salt. But doe's it need some kind of oil or nutter injected to keep it from drying out?

I did one last summer... We got a kid goat, and quartered it. I smoked it exactly like the pork shoulders, same rubs, etc. We then pulled it all and served it on fresh pitas. I almost vomited when I tasted it, but the people I cooked it for (a party) RAVED about it. I also never did get that smell out of my smoker.. its SUPER gamey.
282117_1465010241217_1712341951_706540_4136930_n.jpg

Cabrito! BBQ'd goat. Much loved Mexican fare. Check the web for recipes - Mexican & Jamaican.

I had some young goat chop . I thought they was very mild , i think it according to the age how it taste

We raised goats when I was kid. If they are kept up and fed nothing but corn and sweet feed for about a month, they will not be gamey. Moral of the story, if you want to eat a goat, buy a live one, keep it in a small pen and feed it yourself for about a month before eating it.

My experience may be different, but the only gamey goat I have had was an old one. Young goats taste milder than beef ( I think). I'm not sure how it would do smoked, since goat doesn't have the kind of self-basting marbling or fat that beef and pork do. i have always grilled it, usually high heat in the tandoor. And its been kick a$$ every time!

I agree, goats shouldn't be too gamey if they are younger, also if it is a male needs to be castrated well ahead of time. One of my buddies has a little bit of land where we live and he raised a few goats. We slaughtered on a few months back and it was very tasty, very slight gamey taste. We cooked different parts at different times, and different ways. I actually grilled one of the hind legs a little, then wrapped it in foil for a while then grilled a little more. I was able to shred it and eat it just like that. As for the spices, I would guess it is whatever you like. The steak seasoning sounds good with your additions.

Good luck, make sure to take some pics...

raw_leg.jpg

before_wrap.jpg

Back