Hi everyone, Just wanted to say Thanks for allowing me to join this interesting place. I am very interested in building one of these drum cookers and may have some questions that you have answered already. I believe this is about 101 pages long and I have read through many of them but it is a lot of information to take in.

I appologize in advance if I ask too dumb of a question or ask one that has been answered a hundred times already. I find cooking outdoors is a conversation waiting to happen.

Again, Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio

OOPS, I see it is 444 + pages ... my bad... ;ots or reading to do

I would highly recomend going threw the whole thread if you could. Theres just so much info in this thread and will probably answer most of your questions. The best advice I got when building mine was keep it simple and not get ahead of myself. Theres alot of mods people have done on these things but the orginal design is a proven one. Just keep it basic and have fun!

Make sure you post some pics of the build and food!

What are the advantages of adding a second daisy wheel on a UDS?

I'm sure it wasn't necessary, but my reasoning is on a flat top the recomended exhaust is 8- 1/2 in holes. A single daisy wheel is 4-3/4 in holes, so I added a second wheel with 4 more holes just to make sure I wouldn't have any smoke buildup issues. And like I said, I leave all 8 holes open during a smoke and it's been working great! :becky: If it wasn't working all I have to do adjust the wheels.

Has anyone ever tried putting 90° elbows on the inside of the intakes?

If you turned them all in the same direction, say all pointing to the right, seems like it would create a swirl effect of the air coming in.

As soon as I can get to the depot, Im going to pick three up and then try the biscuit test, with and without.

Jeff

If you turned them all in the same direction, say all pointing to the right, seems like it would create a swirl effect of the air coming in.

As soon as I can get to the depot, Im going to pick three up and then try the biscuit test, with and without.

Jeff

Real interesting idea - but since most cook with caps on all the inlets but one, wouldn't you only need an elbow on the inlet with the valve?

Don't you know that forums like this exist solely for all of us to over-think things that could be simple? :confused: Where's the fun in making it simple? If things are complicated, it's easier to immerse yourself and eat up all of your spare (and not spare) time! :thumb: :doh:
Because Rodney it's probably best to build the 1st one the k.i.s.s. way then you'll see you shouldn't have any problems or complaints. Then if you want build a second one and experiment all you want. Most that have problems or complain about how there UDS doesn't work the way it should haven't followed the directions. I do agree with you about someone building it any way they want but don't complain when it doesn't work the way you thought it would is all I'm saying.

Real interesting idea - but since most cook with caps on all the inlets but one, wouldn't you only need an elbow on the inlet with the valve?

Since I cook at temps ranging from 225 to 350. I personaly would want elbows on all 3 inlets.

Seems like the incoming air would tend to swirl and even things out even more.

Jeff

Jeff

Neat idea! Let us know how it works. I'm really interested to find out if it makes any difference

if the nipples are going straight in, should we still be using the "close" nipples, or does it work better to use a longer one to get the air more to the center of the drum?

Because Rodney it's probably best to build the 1st one the k.i.s.s. way then you'll see you shouldn't have any problems or complaints. Then if you want build a second one and experiment all you want. Most that have problems or complain about how there UDS doesn't work the way it should haven't followed the directions. I do agree with you about someone building it any way they want but don't complain when it doesn't work the way you thought it would is all I'm saying.

Sorry, shoulda made the sarcasm in my post more apparent. :-D I'm with ya.

if the nipples are going straight in, should we still be using the "close" nipples, or does it work better to use a longer one to get the air more to the center of the drum?

Close always works best for me. An added bonus is when you have to scrape/clean the inside the longer gets in the way.

I just have a BGE intake and my drum just hums along. This is usually low and slow cooking so there is not a big air intake to begin with. More air usually translates to higher temps, just sayin......

Paul B
SS UDS

Remember I am new here....

I am going to build me at least one of these Ugly Drum Cookers \ Smokers. However, I have read and looked on here and don't see a parts list or instructions for the basic drum smoker. I have all the drums I need in case I mess up but I guess I would like to know the distance of the air holes from the bottom, the size of the wood basket, placement of the lower rack and the upper rack distance from the top.

I am amazed at the simplicity but yet complicated cooking these drums provide. All of youhave some wonderful stories and pictures of your food experience. When I figure this all out I will send pics and let you all know how I did and wait to be gradded on my progress.

Thanks and please keep this all going, great site and very happy I found this spot on the www.

Sugar

Good point Sugar-T, a parts list would be great for those of us wanting to build a UDS.

Paint / Powder Coating

This may be an oxymoron to an UDS, but I am trying to “pretty-up” my UDS. Have any of you tried to powder coat your drum? I have made a few of these over the years and have had great success at competitions. The latest one I have I used high temp engine paint. It worked well but I can see it starting to fade towards the bottom third of the drum where the primary heat source is.

Curious about powder coating.

Remember I am new here....

I am going to build me at least one of these Ugly Drum Cookers \ Smokers. However, I have read and looked on here and don't see a parts list or instructions for the basic drum smoker. I have all the drums I need in case I mess up but I guess I would like to know the distance of the air holes from the bottom, the size of the wood basket, placement of the lower rack and the upper rack distance from the top.

I am amazed at the simplicity but yet complicated cooking these drums provide. All of youhave some wonderful stories and pictures of your food experience. When I figure this all out I will send pics and let you all know how I did and wait to be gradded on my progress.

Thanks and please keep this all going, great site and very happy I found this spot on the www.

Sugar

It is highly suggested that you spend some time and try to make it through this thread. I, as most, have done it and it is really to your benefit. That being said...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

It is highly suggested that you spend some time and try to make it through this thread. I, as most, have done it and it is really to your benefit. That being said...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

Here's another reference to look at if you don't want to weld:
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums...32-our-uds-cooker-how-build-one-part-1-a.html

Lots of people on here just use magnetic vinyl sheet over holes in the drum to throttle the intake air. When smoking, the drum (at least near the bottom) doesn't get very hot at all, so this works fine. FYI, Home Depot has white magnetic sheets, 8" x 15" in a 3-pack, for $5. They're sold as A/C vent shutoff covers.

Also, if you need some info on charcoal basket construction, check out the video in my signature. It'll at least give you one perspective...

Have fun!

-Rodney

Back