Funky Point Color - Need Input

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had an extra packer I didn't cook from Christmas sitting in the fridge in a cryopack. Tossed it on today to slice up and save for lunches. I cooked around 275 or a tad higher for the first part of the cook then pulled and wrapped in BP at 165 before putting it in the oven at 300 to finish (not enough charcoal to finish in the wsm).

It probed tender right around 200 IT at which point I shut off the oven and waited until it hit 150 IT to slice. For the first time I had the jiggle and the flat was the best looking I've ever had. Very excited. Then as I get to my favorite part (the point) it looked completely different than any other one I've seen. It had a weird multicolored sheen to it and a completely different texture than what I'm used to. The things different from previous successful cooks were:

** waited a week to cook versus within a day or two of purchase

** cooked at 275 versus 300

** wrapped in BP at 165 versus when it probed

** finished in oven (165-200)

** waited until 150 IT to slice versus an hour or two

Anyone have experience with this same funky lookin meat and what the cause could be? Danke.

Probably too long past the kill date. Unless you buy by the case at someplace like RD, you don't know what the kill date was. I don't like to go past 30 to 35 days.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

I have seen slices of beef in Vietnamese Pho that had the irradescent multi colored sheen that you describe. I don't remember any off taste.

Sorry I can't explain it but at least now you know you're not the only one that has seen it.

Back