OK so how nutty are judges REALLY?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Judges must be nuttier than a squirrel turd.

Saturday at Osage City, my wife was making a chocolate cheesecake with crumbled Oreo crust which she was going to drizzle with raspberry sauce and decorate with fresh raspberries and a touch of powdered sugar. Starts off she got to the store and couldn't find raspberry sauce. So she buys boisenberry syrup instead (similar color). When she bakes the cheesecake and goes to cut it beore turn-in, it's WAY over-cooked and crumbles apart when she tries to get it out of the spring pan thing. About the same time, she realizes she left the fresh raspberries in the fridge back at home. She was not going to turn anything in as it was free to enter the category. I laughed and said we should just crumble it ALL up, throw it in a box, dump boisenberry sauce all over it and turn it in and try for DAL. Stan has a better idea. He grabs some gloves and starts rolling this damned mess up in to balls a little bigger than golf balls. They dipped the bottom half in boisenberry sauce and placed them on Tammy's dessert platter. Tammy drizzled boisenberry sauce all over them and the platter and shaved a dark chocolate all over it with her zester. She sprinkled it all with powdered sugar and in the center four balls, she stuck a sprig of mint leaves. Honestly, it looked like crap! We were all laughing our arses off! They looked like little turds on a platter and Tammy even did a little "posing" for the camera (which she swore if I posted, I'd die!) as if she was ... never mind... not a good visual! :lol: So anyway she turns this mess in and was totally embarassed because everyone else was bringing these beautiful platters of dessert up. During awards, they only called the top three and of course we didn't get a call. Afterwards, when I picked up our score sheets, after checking out my non-weighted scoring details, I glance to see how horrible this mess was and here was her dessert scores:

888 998 998 899 798 898

WTF???????????????????

So I flip back to the tally sheet and sitting right there with a score of 173.1432 and in farking FOURTH PLACE was Big Creek BBQ and my wife's overcooked, hand-rolled farking dry chocolate cheesecake meatballs!!! We missed getting a call and $50 for third place by 0.5712 of a point! Unbelieveable! I laughed harder there than when Stan and Tammy were creating this disaster! Now I don't feel so badly about those judges giving me 42nd place for one of the better briskets I've ever cooked! :lol: Of course it makes me a little concerned about my 2nd place chicken and whether it really was worth a chit!

Now if you are someone who was at Osage City and turned in one of those really cool and tasty desserts, my apologizes! I guess this is just a great story of making lemonade when the comp gods threw you lemons! :lol:

Hmmmmm, maybe I won't make that congratulatory call on the chicken after all......

like they say, turning in something in is better than nothing at all. you never know what will happen.
nice story:p:p:p:p

I can tell you that the 2nd place winner's entry (Cabo Wabo) tasted AMAZING!!!! They brought us a couple of pieces. I also know that the Slabs entry looked beautiful! You just never know what the judges are going to do. Congrats Stacy (KC Can Crew) for your winning "Chocolate Cake". LOL!

I've given up on the dessert category. My wife still wants to try it, but for me it was ruined when I saw folks put in a lot of effort into making dessert and then found out that the team that won bought their entry.

Unless the rules specifically state that it has to be home made, I won't bother. At least your wife put the effort into it even though it didn't turn out the way she had planned.

I've given up on the dessert category. My wife still wants to try it, but for me it was ruined when I saw folks put in a lot of effort into making dessert and then found out that the team that won bought their entry.

Unless the rules specifically state that it has to be home made, I won't bother. At least your wife put the effort into it even though it didn't turn out the way she had planned.

I'm in the same boat happened to us a couple year back and I have a hard time jacking with it now :icon_pissed

"Made onsite" was a stipulation at this contest.
The first year, it was not only made onsite, but "made in your smoker"....

And the judges came to your site Friday night for it. It was a HOOT! We made smoked apple chimichangas that year, and took the top prize.

I like the contests that make it a little more of a challenge. makes it fun.

:pGreat story Jeff!! Would be even funnier if she had taken 1st!!:lol::lol::lol:

I hear that Ron.Also won't bother with poeple's choice anymore after I realized last year all you need is a buffet line setup and pole dancers....:rolleyes::lol:

Westmont may be the only exception to the above this year with the Chili....

Since when are pole dancers not part of a winning peoples choice entry??

:pGreat story Jeff!! Would be even funnier if she had taken 1st!!:lol::lol::lol:

I hear that Ron.Also won't bother with poeple's choice anymore after I realized last year all you need is a buffet line setup and pole dancers....:rolleyes::lol:

Westmont may be the only exception to the above this year with the Chili....

Not sure why Tonto is ragging on "pole dancers...".

Oh, that's it, she's half czkekoslavakian......ckeks are okay but not the poles???

Last edited by a moderator:
The first year that they did desserts at the A/R it was free. They handed out a sixth clamshell for desserts. I had just turned in my sausage entry, and sat down to relax and have another chilly one. I look up and all these people are walking past me carring their clamshells. Not to be outdone, I grabbed my box, a handfull of lettace & a dozen tootsi pops that a friend of mine had brought by for the kids. I arrange the lettace & unrapped six of the suckers & made a mighty fine looking display to turn in for my dessert entry. Unfourtunatly the judges were not as kind to me as they were to you. Although, it wasn't DAL. It was second to last.

This BBQ stuff really is fun.

Here's what I gathered from this post:

Cake balls, Sausage, Cabo Wabo, Tootsie Pops & Pole Dancers.

Sounds like a recipe for fun to me!

The first year that they did desserts at the A/R it was free. They handed out a sixth clamshell for desserts. I had just turned in my sausage entry, and sat down to relax and have another chilly one. I look up and all these people are walking past me carring their clamshells. Not to be outdone, I grabbed my box, a handfull of lettace & a dozen tootsi pops that a friend of mine had brought by for the kids. I arrange the lettace & unrapped six of the suckers & made a mighty fine looking display to turn in for my dessert entry. Unfourtunatly the judges were not as kind to me as they were to you. Although, it wasn't DAL. It was second to last.

This BBQ stuff really is fun.

I'd like to have seen the last place entry...I think.

That was one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time! Seriously though, chessecake balls with boysenberry sauce sounds pretty good, overcooked or not. Congrats!

Did you try them? I didn't see where they tasted bad. Since you knew what it was supposed to be, you thought it was bad. The judges didn't know it was a cheescake gone bad. It sounded pretty good.

Good story none the less. I always like hearing the stories of how someone turned in what they thought was a poor product and got a good call. Seems to happen a lot.

Back