When Making BBQ Sauce (Do You)

Big Johnson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Today I started making my own BBQ Sauce and I thought it came out pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the chopped onion and Bell pepper didn't break down enough during the sweating and the boiling that I did.

I thought why not go down to the store and get a stick blender and see if that would help with cutting down the onions and peppers a bit. I did it and now it has this funny texture to it.

So what do you guys normally do when your using onions in your BBQ sauce, do you leave it alone or do you strain it? Have you had success using a emulsifier?

Last edited:
Today I started making my own BBQ Sauce and I thought it came out pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the chopped onion and Bell pepper didn't break down enough during the sweating and the boiling that I did.

I though why not go down to the store and get a stick blender and see if that would help with cutting down the onions and peppers a bit. I did it and now it has this funny texture to it.

So what do you guys normally do when your using onions in your BBQ sauce, do you leave it alone or do you strain it? Have you had success using a emulsifier?

I would strain it. The more you break down the onions and pepper with blending or using an emulsifier the more it will effect the flavor and texture.

I use a stick blender in mine and it comes out very smooth. If you're having issues I would suggest putting it through a fine mesh sieve.

I saute apples, onions, and bell pepper into mine as well. I use an immersion blender like "MS2SB" stated above, but I chop them up when adding the vinegar before cooking as a sauce, and they break down during the cook. But if you don't like the texture then probably your only choice is to strain it.

Last edited:
I also use an immersion blender on my sauce, not a fan of "lumpy" sauces at all. Never had an issue with off taste when using my stick blender.

One time I made my own it was kinda lumpy too. Tasted ok, but seemed more like a salsa than BBQ sauce. Have a stick blender. Don't think I even thought of using it. Seems like it would work.

One time I made my own it was kinda lumpy too. Tasted ok, but seemed more like a salsa than BBQ sauce. Have a stick blender. Don't think I even thought of using it. Seems like it would work.

This is the problem I'm having it's more like a tomato Sauce then a BBQ sauce. Maybe I need to hit the Immersion blender on it more!

I think the big difference is your used to commercial HFCS based saucesThat have a satainy mouth feel. After blending pass it through a Dunce hat or a fine mesh strainer discard everything that don't go through the holes.

A finer chop on the veg and longer cook time will solve that. Sometimes even a good fine chop in the food processor before cooking can help the texture significantly if you don't have an immersion blender.

My homemade sauce has onion and lemons chopped up in it, and after simmering and cooking it down to the desired consistency, I strain it through a wire strainer to remove any lumps. If the lemon peel, etc are left in it, it will taste bitter. When strained, the resulting product is smooth and has the consistency of slightly thin buttermilk, if that makes any sense. Tangy and slightly spicy depending on amount of red pepper and Tabasco added.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I tried a few different things, but in the end settled on straining. It's easy, and I like the texture a lot better. I should note that I prefer a thinner, Texas type sauce.

Thanx for all the response's Fellas.... I think I'm going to end up straining it next time. I have a KC style BBQ sauce that starts with minced onion but I strain it and I love texture and how thin it is.

I had the same experience with the immersion blender, last couple times I put it in the regular blender and let it go for about a minute, like every thing else it was better the next day. Try making it a day early.

Back