Reducing head size of Drum for UDS?

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Fellow Brethren...I recently got a new 22 1/2 Kettle lid (FREE) for my existing UDS and it's pretty nice. The lid I currently use was bent at the rim to fit drum and I don't want to do that to this lid. Rather I'd like to reduce the size of the barrel head so the lid fits.

Here's my question...Do you think if I made 4 evenly spaced angled cuts on the rim of the drum and then squeezed together with a ratcheting tie-down to the right diameter would this work?

My other option would be to use the bottom of the FREE kettle to do the insert mod but I'm not too keen on cutting the top rim off the Kettle but I would certainly consider it.

Let me know what you think.

Just got the power back on from a tree limb knocking down wires. Dang hurricane! Anyway, cutting the drum at four points will result in a smaller diameter. However it will not be round. I'm thinking the drum top will be irregular resulting in a major air leak. Both of my drums have the kettle insert and they work great. That's my vote.

I wouldn't try the squeeze. You want a real tight seal or you will not be able to control the temp.
The best UDS I have made was done by using the bottom of the barrel as the top. In many cases, the Weber lit fits perfectly on the bottom of the drum. I then welded the flat drum lid to the top and flipped it over, cut out the bottom and you are almost done.
However, since you already have a UDS, you prolly don't want to do that.

People have added a thin band of steel inside the drum for it to sit on.

I have done them this way also. I have never gotten them perfectly air tight with this technique. I got pretty close though by adding BGE gaskets to both surfaces.

4 cuts will not do it my friend, as mentioned earlier, but 36 cuts will get you a lot closer to what you want. That is exactly what i did to not having to flatten out the flange on the weber lid and reshaping it to the drum.

I had a perfect fit on the bottom end of a donor drum for my weber lid. So i removed about 6 1/2 " from both ends of the drum. Cut almost 36 slots about 1 1/2" up to make 35 individual TABS. Bending them slightly inward to get a lead on the ring will allow you to get a perfect fit to the inside of the drum. Hammer and a wooden block will do. I added 3 pieces of aluminum angle for a positive stop. This set up will give me 3 grates to work with if i had to.

Last edited:
Okay, this is great input and I'm glad I asked before cutting my UDS. I was concerned with exactly what you've noted here...air leaks due to out of round.

Looks like I'm going to be cutting the donor bottom...onward!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Here are the pics that i could not post earlier,i exceeded my limit.

Attachments

• P8010158.JPG
    P8010158.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I was never happy with my lid fit so this weekend I did a little chopping on my UDS. I cut the rolled top off my drum with a cutting wheel and tack welded a 20ish gauge strip of metal around the inside of my drum AND the outside of my drum and finally have a perfect fit. It's almost too tight honestly and takes little effort to get it on. B hole tight when its on though.

Back