• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question on Corned Beef Season packets

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK, I remember when I was a kid(not too long ago) when you bought the packet of Corned Beef, the seasoning was floating around in the brine. Nowadays, they put it into a little packet and slide it into the packs. I have 3 that I'll be doing up for St Patty's Day and was wondering about reapacking them with the seasoning like it used to be and using my vacuum sealer for a few days prior.

Would it make any differenceto do them for a few days? Also, why did they stop just putting the spices into the packs to begin with?

Even when I make traditional corned beef, I still do a soak out on them for at least 24 hours. I seldom use the seasoning that is included but opt for regular pickling spice to add to my pressure cooker liquid or braising liquid. I know it's probably very similar, but I guess I think the stuff I have is better....

Just made a 12 pounder yesterday ($1.69 / # at Restaurant Depot). 1/2" water in bottom of roaster, pickling spice in water. 275 degrees for 7 hours, 350 degrees for 1 hour. Mmmmmmmmmm

Back