Question for CBJ and MCBJ

Does it matter if the entry leaves sauce on the inside of the lid?

Thanks Guys.

It doesn't matter to me at all, I never look at the lid. Sauce smudged on the lid and side of the box may have happened after the team turned in. Sometimes the boxes get stacked by a volunteer, and even sometimes the tray for the table captain is too small and a little stacking is needed.

Edit to add: Most of the contests I judge the KCBS rep makes sure to mention NOT to score down for sauce on the lid.

I judge the meat, not the lid. If there is sauce on the lid, I ignore it. Like mentioned above, it could have gotten there a number of ways. In my eyes its the same as the garnish... of course I see it, but it is not a factor when I am deciding on a score.

Not to me, and in addition, I will also take that into account with the corresponding food which might have had the surface "messed up" due to the lid. It could be as a result of the handling of the table captain or reps, and I don't want to fault the team for something out of their control

The lid no. But, you do need to be concerned some if the finish on your product is damaged (smeared, blotched whatever) so i try to make sure the box will close without touching the meat. Most judges are going to look at the meat and judge what is there. Not try to guess what happened to cause it. Keith

The lid no. But, you do need to be concerned some if the finish on your product is damaged (smeared, blotched whatever) so i try to make sure the box will close without touching the meat. Most judges are going to look at the meat and judge what is there. Not try to guess what happened to cause it. Keith

Seriously?!?! Even if there was chance that the Rep or Table Captain Caused it?

Judges are instructed to ignore sauce on the lid. Whether ALL judges can get past the messed up sauce on the meat remains open for debate. Just to be on the safe side, I would do my best to make sure that I wouldn't have this problem.

^^^ this is pretty consistent across all sanctioning bodies that I'm familiar with. Dont judge the box; judge the meat.

The only thing in the box that I judge is the meat.

I might see the sauce on the lid, but the only consideration I take with it is to see if that might have messed up the surface appearance of the meat. There are too many "non-cook team" related things that can happen on the way to a table to judge otherwise. Like Hance stated: it is pretty consistent across all sanctioning bodies.

Yes. Judge what I see in the box. I do not know if you presented poorly or if your box was bumped. Not my job to be Sherlock Holmes. My job is to judge the meat in the box as presented. It is the job of others to see to it that it gets to me in the condition that you got it to them . Keith

If the TC caused it by dumping/tipping the box. It is his obligation to notify the Rep and that box is awarded equal to the highest appearance score of the table.

To be fair to those who handle the boxes before I see them I believe that they take great care to preserve the integrity of your box and that the majority of sauce on the lid, damage to the presentation occurs because the meat is sitting to high in the box. Keith

To be fair to those who handle the boxes before I see them I believe that they take great care to preserve the integrity of your box and that the majority of sauce on the lid, damage to the presentation occurs because the meat is sitting to high in the box. Keith
I absolutely disagree with this statement.

I can assure you that no one who handles my turn-in box takes greater care to preserve the integrity of it's contents than I do. Period. I've seen, way too many times, careless handling of boxes and/or stacking of boxes on trays by volunteers or Reps after I place my box on the turn-in table. I find it concerning that, as a judge, your "benefit of the doubt" is placed with those who handle the box after a cook turns it in, instead of the cook.

In my experience, at most contests we are instructed to not take the sauce on the lid into consideration AND it is strongly hinted if not blatently said that the corresponding damaged finish on the pieces should not be judged down. It is also said to assume that this happened in handling after turn in.

The reason being is that not every contest has a tray that can fit 6 boxes side by side or judges will have to judge 7 boxes instead of 6 causing the boxes to be stacked.

Last edited:

Maybe I can help change your mind about scoring down for appearance. After I have set my box on the turn-in table, I have observed one particular rep. take it in both hands and press his thumbs on the top of the box. This has happened for years both when I was an assistant cook running boxes and cooking on my own. I have never stopped to watch if this is happening to all the teams because I don't have time but maybe I will in the future. Luckily, I only see this rep a few times each year. I've never mentioned it to the rep for fear of offending him and having something else done to my boxes. Yes, I'm probably being paranoid.

C'mon Benny, what is wrong with that? Didn't you check out the new 2014 KCBS rules where it discusses the proper way to judge for tenderness is by thumbing the box to see how much resistance it has??? :thumb:

Back