Pepperoni & Roasted Garlic Pizza: First Pizza Cook On My New Vision Kamado

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics I took last night when I fired up my new Vision Kamado for its first pizza cook.

I preheated my round granite stone in the oven, and when it reached 300 degrees, put it on two bricks on the first cooking grate in the Kamado. Hometruckin and I had been discussing this very same strategy a few days ago.

When the stone temp reached 500 degrees, added a small piece of pecan to the fire, and put the pie on the stone. It cooked in 6 minutes.

The verdict?

Well, the pizza was great! I realized earlier in the day we were out of homemade pizza dough balls in the freezer, so went up the street to a small Italian Deli I had read good things about and bought some dough there. The dough was just beautiful to work with, and it took me under 60 seconds to hand stretch it into a perfect round. Better yet, the dough had a level of crispiness to it that extended from the middle of the pie to the edges of the crust. I don't know if this was due to the Kamado or not, but it sure tasted good, especially with the addition of the pecan wood which gave it nice smoky overtones.

I plan on doing my next pizza using the same dough in our convection oven as well as my FrankenWeber pizza kettle to compare notes.

Now that's a nice looking pizza. Nice crust and nice browning on cheese! I cook mine in my indoor oven with a pizza stone at 575F. For some reason the oven I have here in this apartment heats that high! :)

The higher the temp the better--can you get your kamado up to 600 or 700F?

Nice pie, Moose! Do you deliver?

Buying pizza dough from a local shop is so easy that I haven't made any myself for a long time :oops:

Trader Joe's also has fresh pizza dough that is pretty good.

I agree on the dough. I make too many pizzas to make the dough myself. I buy mine from an Italian restaurants supply house, along with bulk shredded Mozz cheeze.
Bridgford Old World pepperoni sticks are the old school, curl up Pepperoni that pool the grease. Excellent flavor.

I get a little BBQ/Smoke flavor from the RO lump I use. Just a hint...

Try white and red sauces, and pulled pork with BBQ sauce drizzled on it once it's cooked is a good pie too..

Great looking pie Moose!:thumb:
Sounds like you really have the system down.
I too have a preference for thermal dome cookers.:mrgreen:

So jelous when I read other folks that go to local pizza places to buy dough.

Here in TX- no one will sell it to you as it is a healthcode violation(a pizza guy who manages a pizza place explained it to me that you need a "raw foods" license to sell raw products such as uncooked seafood, uncooked dough ect. The law was new to him as he is from NY and he use to do it all the time back there).

Yeah I'd like 2 order 2 of them, a 2 liter of Pepsi, do ya deliver and do ya take a credit card?! great lookin' pie man.

Makin me really wish Smitties wouldn't have burned down.

Nice pie, Moose! Do you deliver?

Buying pizza dough from a local shop is so easy that I haven't made any myself for a long time :oops:

Trader Joe's also has fresh pizza dough that is pretty good.

Delivery is not yet available, unless you live down the block. :grin:

Last night's dough was really amazing. We've used TJ's pizza dough many times, and it's very good, but this stuff was really amazing. With dough like that, why bother making it from scratch?

Wait. When did you get the Vision? (Oh, nice pie...)

Looks great brother! As much as I enjoy my new-ish eating regimen, there is one part that sux - I don't eat nearly as much pizza as I used to. I love pizza. I can't think about pizza or I'll go crazy. :tsk: But that looks beautiful and I'd hit that very, very hard indeed. :hungry:

Awesome food pron!!! I was planning to make some chicken bombs tomorrow; looks like I'll open her up after they're done and slide a little pizza on there as well :cool:

I 2nd the buying raw dough....mine never has the same snap and crispiness as from the local italian joint

Great looking pie, I would love to be able to Buy decent dough premade

Back