Smoked Thanksgiving Turkey Success!

fatcliff77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings Brethren,
Followed some great advice from this site, and produced yet another successful cook.

Smoked turkey:
Brined for 24hrs on friday in a simple brine, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper. Rinsed it well, and put back in the fridge for another 24hrs. Injected on Sunday morning with equal parts butter, honey, white wine and a bit of my rib rub. (very similar to tuffy stone's rub).

Rubbed butter and rub under the skin, then brushed the exterior with olive oil and a generous layer of same rub.

Smoked between 275-315 for 4hrs, spatchcocked style!

Thanks again for all the help!

thanksgivingy.jpg

That looks good!

Did you set it and forget it, or did you baste/spay during cook?

Great looking bird! Nice job!!

Excellent. I love to spatch the turkey action. I do a two day brine on mine then inject with rosemary garlic butter, slather with mayo and some rub then go to town. Makes me want to do up a couple next week. Unless I get an elk this week.

That looks fantastic. I would love to get more details on the cook. Would like to do this for Thanksgiving but want to practice first.

Dang that looks tasty! Planning on doing one for Thanksgiving and need to practice on one before hand. I like that you spatchcocked it as well...been doing all my chickens that way.

That looks awesome! I had convinced myself I was going to do bone-in breasts for Thanksgiving, but you are making me rethink that. Nicely done!

I'm making a turkey this week and may have to do this. I love spatchcocked chicken, and that is proof it's great for turkey too. Nice job!

all i can see are open face hot turkey sandwiches.

I can only take a small fraction of the credit, the rest goes to all of you! Until i found this site, i would not have had the knowledge or courage to try this stuff. PRAISE THE LORD, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT, AND THE LIGHT IS BBQ!

Spatchcock is the ONLY way i will do birds. I gave my beercan holders away!

MrFish: I did "spritz" with cranberry juice every hr... I have a hard time with set it and forget it...
bbqrules: what ever you'd like to know, be free to ask, or pm me.

Back