My New Competition Smoker

Meat Man

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
MAK Four Star grill. A serious piece of equipment. Ordered it today.
1000 sq. inches, 2 fire pots, 170 to 650 degrees, pellet boss, wi-fi, 8 probes, 2-20 lbs pellet hoppers, expandable up to 6000 sq. inches. solid 304 stainless, and bulit like a tank by MAK grills. The Four Star was the winner of the 2012 Vesta, Heart and Home Show.

adaa369d.jpg

Wow, you ordered one! Congrats. Wish I could have one of those bad boys.

that is really sharp. I found a price on it @ 8K and was wondering what your thoughts on that cooker would be that makes it a better cooker than some less expensive alternatives?

First off, I should say that we are MAK dealers here in SLC. MAKs really are the Mercedes Benz of smokers, and the Four Star looks to be in a whole different class all together (just my opinion). We have a retail meat market, and want to sell BBQ here at the store, as well as do some catering on the side. So for me it really wasn't a hard choice. We have used MAKs in competitions and had success with them, they do produce a great smoke profile when used with high quality pellets. But like its often said "it's the cook, not the cooker." there are many fine pellet grills out on the market. But Bob and his crew at MAK really are passionate about the equipment they sell.

It cooks better than it looks...great cooker from a great company and better folks.

@ greendriver, you can set one side for say 180 for a good smoke and set the other side to 250. So know you get good smoke at a higher temp. Or, turn that thing up to 315 and have some great chicken and a lot of it.

I've had the pleasure of cooking on the 4 Star (#1 prototype), and it was awesome. Bob has made vast improvements since then and I can bet it's even better now.

Super jealous. MAK makes a great product. We would love to get one but the price with the cart is way out of our price range. Can't wait to get your review once it arrives.

Derrick now I'm jealous, you've cooked on it and I haven't. Cameron the bummer is we won't have it for Vegas, it's 10-12 weeks out. This baby is going to put out some great BBQ. Thanks you guys, Chris loved your book.

Mine is on order....the first one..I cant wait. The roving thermocouple is great..you put it where you want it.

That's a beauty! Congratulations!

And congrats to the folks at MAK for winning another VESTA award at the HPB Expo in Atlanta last weekend. That's back to back for MAK!!!

Back