• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Potroast Bacon Cheeseburger

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
After two weeks of vacation without a grill, the wife and I were HUNGRY for some burgers. After seeing someone here grind their own ground beef with bacon, I've been wanting to try it for some time.

At Costco today I found "pot roast" for $2.35/lb. The two big cuts had a lot of marbling, nice red color, and soft (flexible) to the touch. After trimming out any large veins of fat, the 6 lbs. of pot roast yielded about 5 lbs. ready to be ground with a pound of bacon.

I treated the grinding process similar to sausage makers. So that the fat wouldn't begin to melt from the whole process, I make sure everything stayed cool. The beef, bacon, and grinder parts went into the freezer for a brief chill. The bowl used to catch the ground pork and beef mix was set into a larger bowl with ice.

Half pound burgers were seasoned with a dash of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and a sprinkle of Brauma's garlic powder. The salt was not needed because of all the cured bacon already in the burger.

I was surprised how little the burgers shrunk despite the high amount of fat. Flare ups on the grill were very few as well. Because the mix had raw pork, the burgers were cooked until done all of the way through. Not a burger you want to serve medium rare.

The burgers were topped with a strip of colby-jack cheese and some of my "bbq bean base". The bean base is basically a sauteed mix of red bell pepper, onion, and bacon. Other "mix in" options could be shiitake mushrooms, caramelized onion, or bleu cheese.

If you are looking for something different to do for a Fourth of July cookout, make your own grind. According to the wife, it was the best, juiciest burger she's ever had. I have to agree that it was awesome.

Attachments

• potroast bacon cheeseburger 003 (Small).jpg
    potroast bacon cheeseburger 003 (Small).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 190
  • potroast bacon cheeseburger 004 (Small).jpg
    potroast bacon cheeseburger 004 (Small).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 189
  • potroast bacon cheeseburger 006 (Small).jpg
    potroast bacon cheeseburger 006 (Small).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 188
  • potroast bacon cheeseburger 009 (Small).jpg
    potroast bacon cheeseburger 009 (Small).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 189
  • potroast bacon cheeseburger 016 (Small).jpg
    potroast bacon cheeseburger 016 (Small).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 189
  • potroast bacon cheeseburger 022 (Small).jpg
    potroast bacon cheeseburger 022 (Small).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 187
sure as heck looks good. I've also been wanting to grind my own beef with bacon. Could you taste the bacon at all?

sure as heck looks good. I've also been wanting to grind my own beef with bacon. Could you taste the bacon at all?

Let me snack on another one and get back to you. :wink:

Seriously, I would have to say yes, but obviously it was different flavor than crispy strips of bacon on top of the burger.

How long does it take to grind with that attachment?BTW i just ate but that me real hungry again

Im needing one of those Kitchen Aid grinders. No doubt.

Awesome looking burgers dude.

What??? No beer added for moisture?
trink40.gif

I have the same grinder set-up, they work great don't they.

Todd! THANKS A LOT! I just had lunch at "Burger Queen", I'm hungry again! Great Job!!

nice!
i've got to get a mixer!

great grill shot

Looks great....maybe try that this weekend....lookin' forward to my next heart attack:biggrin:

Slow down with all these food idea's Todd I can't keep up with trying them out.

it's when you see pics like this, I wish i was your neighbor.

What??? No beer added for moisture?
trink40.gif

I went for the lemonade chaser. :wink:

How long does it take to grind with that attachment?BTW i just ate but that me real hungry again

It actually works great!! I've done some sausage stuffing with it, which takes a bit to get the hang of. I'm still not good at it. Making sausage is definitely an art. As a straight grinder... it rocks.

Todd,
yup...been eating a lot more burger lately since I saw that post as well. I buy chuck's at Sam's and grind with the bacon, then use my burger press to make patties. I partially freeze then vac seal and freeze all the way. Kids and neighobor's love 'em!

Todd,
yup...been eating a lot more burger lately since I saw that post as well. I buy chuck's at Sam's and grind with the bacon, then use my burger press to make patties. I partially freeze then vac seal and freeze all the way. Kids and neighobor's love 'em!

Good idea. I think I'll freeze the rest as patties.

Wife pulled out the George Foreman indoor grill and made burgers yesterday while it was pooring rain and I was gone. Then she made chili with it for supper.

Back