My First Smoke Out! Any Help Appreciated!

chrscurrier

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi I'm Chris, and I’m new here!

Ok so,............ My new Bandera just arrived last night and I've never been so happy. Right now I’m about 3 hours into seasoning and am dying to put food in it. I did check out Bandera 101 and did some real quick temp mods for now because it is such a nice day in Louisiana I couldn't wait to put it to use. I used a bunch of aluminum foil folded over and over for thickness to do the baffle mod. Sacrificed an old grill and cut down the cooking grate to do the firebox mod. I found using that and one of the grill treys from the Bandera is working for now. I have a turkey fryer thermometer clipped into the chimney, I found that you guys are absolutely right about the thermometer that came with it isn't accurate.

Now here is the deal. I’m having a bunch of friends over for a Q and don't want to screw this up. I bought 3 rolls of sausage and 3 big rib racks. I am wondering if I can get some suggestions for cooking times and what not. Last night I rubbed down the ribs with a home made rub consisting of brown sugar and some spices I have lying around the house. The sausage I figured I’d just leave alone and toss em in. I also was planning on smoking some bell peppers and possibly some garlic to go with a grilled potato salad I’m gonna make.

With my friends I’m well known for my grilling techniques, so a smoker was, as far as I’m concerned the next step. Now I’ve read some forums and it looks like some first burns don't go so well so I’m also going to make some espresso rubbed NY strips and cedar plank salmon on my old trusty grill, along with some grilled asparagus. I figure I’m gonna have way too much food but if I screw up the meat in the smoker I’ll still be ok.

And comments, hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Chris Currier
Houma, Louisiana
King of the grill! HAHAHA!
Novice with the smoke!

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you've got it going on the pork rolls should take approx. 2hrs depending on the smoker temp and that'll include the ribs also they'll take alittle bit longer, just keep an eye on the firebox and check temps regular and you'll be alright!! one more thing the smoke from the stack should be a wisp and not bellowing...

Thanks for the tip, As soon as i figure out how to put up pics I'll post some start to finish and let you know how it goes.

Currier,
Welcome Aboard!!!

Ya gots ta be a carful wit dem dar bbqs. It can git ta yer branes and rot out yer teef.
Copy%20of%20DSC_0242.JPG

This is my setup for the day.

DSC08142.jpg

Here is a pic of the quick mod i made prior to seasoning.

DSC08132.jpg

This is my quick foil mod.

DSC08130.jpg

This is the meat prior to giong into the box.

DSC08146.jpg

And I just got it in....................

DSC08147.jpg

Can't wait to eat!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck on your first smoke out Chris. You sure didn't waste any time putting that new Bandera to work. Looks good.

Chris, welcome and good luck. You will be fine. Is your bandera a horizontal offset? I have the older vertical and cook times are 2 1/2 - 3 hrs for the fatties, around 4 1/2 for loin back ribs, and 5 1/2 for spares. I am sure some of the other brethren can help. Keep us posted.

OOPS.. took me too long to type before you got those excellent pics. :lol:

welcome chris!! lookin good!! is that maverick in the background a rece car??:p

New question?!?

I have applejuice in the water bowl because that seems to be what most people recomend. The question is, what are your thoughts on pouring in a bottle or 2 of beer with it? Will it bring good results, or will I be unhappy with it?

I have applejuice in the water bowl because that seems to be what most people recomend. The question is, what are your thoughts on pouring in a bottle or 2 of beer with it? Will it bring good results, or will I be unhappy with it?

It will smell good. Use cheap beer, don't waste any good stuff.

I am from Houma as well, Terrebonne High class of 94....telling my age! Careful with the spare ribs, I have found that using brown sugar you can burn the bark, if your temp gets too high. I like the 3-2-1 method with spares, I find they just fall off the bone and even my grandpa with no teeth can eat them just fine, hahaha. Good luck and welcome to club, I love it here, I get fatter everyday just looking at the PRON! I would invest in the nu-temp thermometer, you can hang out and not have to duck in the pit every 5 minutes worrying about the temp! Have fun and be sure to post some Pron!

You'll be fine. Not to worry. Smoking, unlike grilling is laid back. Don't stress. Much harder to overcook. Time not as critical. :icon_cool

And as for the water issue, most of us use water. It is a water bowl afterall. More of a heat sink than anything else. Like others said, don't waste money on it.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Hope all is going well. Like the others, water will work just as good as any other liquid in the bowl. It will smell nicer with other liquids, but H2O does a fine job. Enjoy the cooking process, and really enjoy the food. Keep the camera close

All is going well, I've been having good luck keeping the heat between 200 and 250. Sometimes a bit lower because i'm trtying top stay away from it because i'm so tempted to open her up! I think that is the hardest part. I want to look sooooo bad. i did peek a bit ago and wow it looks good. what realy shocked me is just how small a fire i need to keep the temp right. Well i have to get back to the beer!

I am from Houma as well, Terrebonne High class of 94....telling my age! Careful with the spare ribs, I have found that using brown sugar you can burn the bark, if your temp gets too high. I like the 3-2-1 method with spares, I find they just fall off the bone and even my grandpa with no teeth can eat them just fine, hahaha. Good luck and welcome to club, I love it here, I get fatter everyday just looking at the PRON! I would invest in the nu-temp thermometer, you can hang out and not have to duck in the pit every 5 minutes worrying about the temp! Have fun and be sure to post some Pron!

Ok, class of 94' that's not so bad, i was class of 91'. i'm not originally from here, i was transplanted about 7 years ago.

Stick your nose up in the air and see if yopu can sniff me down. If you do i have plenty of food!

Back