Smoke in Da Eye's KCBS entries - feedback requested

S

SmokeInDaEye

Great weekend! Despite missing the 4pm cutoff for getting my truck into the site by 10 minutes after a 6.5 hour drive and nearly being impaled by a wind crushed canopy during fish turn-in, it was a ton of fun!!! Good spending time with old friends and meeting some new ones. Plus I got two calls on Saturday (4th in sausage, 5th in fish) and came .6 from placing in the top 3 for grilling!!! Tons of 8s and 9s on the score sheet.

But as Vinny mentioned, I was a bit upset by my results yesterday. Although this was only my second full barbeque contest, I really felt I could better my effort from New Paltz. I think my scores were WORSE!!!

Cooking went perfect, turn-ins went perfect (except getting ribs in with 10 seconds to spare because of a problem with shiners), and I thought the flavor and tenderness were well balanced on the brisket.

Here's my turn-in boxes. PPPPLLLLEASE let me know your thoughts. We probably went too heavy on the garnish (though it was similar Saturday) and the glaze on my ribs could have been thinner to even out the color. What else? Maybe pull the pork more? It was so tender i wanted the judges to see how it falls apart so I left the chunks a bit larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great weekend! Despite missing the 4pm cutoff for getting my truck into the site by 10 minutes after a 6.5 hour drive and nearly being impaled by a wind crushed canopy during fish turn-in, it was a ton of fun!!! Good spending time with old friends and meeting some new ones. Plus I got two calls on Saturday (4th in sausage, 5th in fish) and came .6 from placing in the top 3 for grilling!!! Tons of 8s and 9s on the score sheet.

But as Vinny mentioned, I was a bit upset by my results yesterday. Although this was only my second full barbeque contest, I really felt I could better my effort from New Paltz. I think my scores were WORSE!!!

Cooking went perfect, turn-ins went perfect (except getting ribs in with 10 seconds to spare because of a problem with shiners), and I thought the flavor and tenderness were well balanced on the brisket.

Here's my turn-in boxes. PPPPLLLLEASE let me know your thoughts. We probably went too heavy on the garnish (though it was similar Saturday) and the glaze on my ribs could have been thinner to even out the color. What else? Maybe pull the pork more? It was so tender i wanted the judges to see how it falls apart so I left the chunks a bit larger.

Clint - The one thing that might have helped the presentation scores was if they "shined" a bit more..a little more gloss. The chicken seems like the sauce is baked on and the pork likes kind of dry. Maybe some adjustments to the lettuce but it's always easier to see that looking at pictures the fact.

Clint - The one thing that might have helped the presentation scores was if they "shined" a bit more..a little more gloss. The chicken seems like the sauce is baked on and the pork likes kind of dry. Maybe some adjustments to the lettuce but it's always easier to see that looking at pictures the fact.

Good call. I think the chicken had a nice shine to it but I didn't heat the sauce/glaze like I normally would. Same with ribs. I considered spraying the pork but didn't since it was so moist. Presentation scores for chicken were 7,7,7,8,7,8 and pork were 7,8,8,7,7,8. Ribs were 8,9,8,8,9,7 and brisket was 6,8,7,7,7,7. The brisket, I thought, was by far the strongest looking of all of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did it take you so long to get to Merrimac?

Flipped over garbage truck on the highway and a couple other accidents. Then I got there and they told me I had to hand carry everything about a mile. Did one trip and some people showed up in little trucks and unloaded the entire trailer!:grin:

I'm thinking maybe I should stick to grilling. 5th (Hudson Valley), 5th (Grilling on the Bay) and now 4th.

Sauce your pork, get your chicken a little darker, and show more of the ribs. Lots of garnish in that rib box and you really only get a full shot of the top three ribs and maybe the two flanking bottom ribs. Even though you have seven baby back ribs in the box, it looks sparse.

IMHO. Hope that helps you.

Thinking the same thing. 5th grilling on the bay 2006 and 3rd at bluesaque this past weekend.

I'm hearing the makings of the New York Grilling Association... :biggrin:

Seriously, Just remember those grilling scores count toward NEBS Team of the Year too like the BBQ entries..

I'm hearing the makings of the New York Grilling Association... :biggrin:

Seriously, Just remember those grilling scores count toward NEBS Team of the Year too like the BBQ entries..

New York Grilling Association??? You better include Rhode Island in that, three of The Anchormen are New Yorkers.
The Anchormen can grill a little bit also. :roll:

Your lettuce beds seem to be like a cup, try to build more of a flat platform so the meat 'sits up'. You need sauce/butter/glaze on the pork. Otherwise looks good!

BIG EAST BBQ ASSOCIATION
its not just for smokin anymore !!!

William Breakstone, Founder ?

Sauce your pork, get your chicken a little darker, and show more of the ribs. Lots of garnish in that rib box and you really only get a full shot of the top three ribs and maybe the two flanking bottom ribs. Even though you have seven baby back ribs in the box, it looks sparse.

IMHO. Hope that helps you.

Very much so. Thank you sir! I also like Chris's suggestion to build it up a bit in the middle. I don't beleive the meat was as low as the images imply but I could definitely add a couple extra leaves on the base.

I pulled up my scores from Hudson Valley and did improve (except in pork which I changed around quite a bit this time, including the finishing sauce. Easy fix on that one)

Chicken 150.2858 now vs. 136.0000
Ribs 143.4282 now vs. 132.5714
Pork 135.4284 now vs. 150.2858
brisket 142.2858 now vs. 126.2860

total 571.4282 now vs. 545.1432

Clint,

It was great seeing you up in New Hampshire. I am sorry I did not get to your site but I am on crutches now and the long grass made it difficult for me. I have to say your boxes look very good. The presentation scores are only a small part of your score though. What were your other marks? We simplified our cooking process quite a bit. I think we were outsmarting ourselves for a while and decided to go back to basics after BBQ on the farm. It seemed to work for us. At BBQ at the farm we came in 38th out of 47th. Go figure! The Polocks know you cook great Que! Keep your chin up and and keep trying. You will be taking walks soon.

Clint, everything looks great to me, but sadly, I wasn't judging. You are definitley on the right track and I know your que tastes amazing. I think Todd & Vinny's feedback are both easy fixes and might be the difference.

Turn ins look great, the sauce on the pulled pork will keep the fat from setting up before it hits the judges. Keep in mind there is about 10 or 15 min between the time you close the box and the time they see it. looks tasty as well, great job on the scores!

Back