What is your Favorite BBQ Book??

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this alot lately and thought I would put this out to the Brethren. For me my ultimate favorite book that I refer to all the time and pretty much read all the time is "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue" With being fairly new to competition BBQ this has been a very valuable book. My second favorite is "Smoke and Spice" Both books are very good, and have taught me alot. Now its your turn :-D

Big Time BBQ
Paul Kirk's Champ. BBQ
John Willingham's Champ. BBQ
Smoke & Spice is even better in it's new edition - pages were getting tattered on the old one. :eek:)

So is this a "top 40" list - or just the few favs? ;o)

Since I dont have very many books.....actually TWO on bbq...the best is Peace Love & BBQ. it has background and BBQ philosophy, Not just recipes.

I recommend three by Steven Raichlen:

The BBQ! Bible
BBQ USA
Raichlen on Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs!

All are on Amazon.com for reasonable prices.

HoDeDo said:
Big Time BBQ
Paul Kirk's Champ. BBQ
Smoke & Spice is even better in it's new edition - pages were getting tattered on the old one. :eek:)

So is this a "top 40" list - or just the few favs? ;o)

Brotha it is any and all that you like that might give the rest of us some ideas for future purchase :-D I'm making a list and giving it to the Bosslady, I have a birthday and Christmas coming you know.

My book is not available in stores. A friend of the family who got me into smoking 15 years ago made it for me. He was retiring from a US govt. job and printed it up for me there. I call it my Green Bible! It is a 2" 3 ring binder, and contains 150-200 pages. It covers everything from BTU on wood to rubs and everything in between. You name it it is in here. It provided me some of the best "library" reading for over a month.
Some of the info in this book is beyond me, I think some of our more intelligent Brethren on the East Coast may understand it.

Smoke N Spice, and Peace Love and Barbecue are some good reads. Dr. Barbecue's book "Big Time Barbecue" has some good recipes. Haven't read the good doctor's second book yet.

This is my collection in order of best to worst based soley on reading enjoyment in my opinion... Some I bought, but most given to me as gifts.

Peace Love & Barbeque
Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ
Dr BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Cookbook
Grand Barbeque
Legends of Texas Barbeque Book
Smoke and Spice
BBQ USA
John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q
The Barbeque America Cookbook
Barbeque Bible
Barbeque Secrets

My first book was the BBQ Bible. I bought it the same time I bought my Brinkman Gourmet smoker. My next book was Paul Kirk's book and about the same time the wife bought me a copy DrBBQ's first book(autographed) then I recently got a copy of his second book. Oh yea, it's autgraphed too.

Honestly, I really haven't used much in the way of recipes from the books. I did use the vinegar sauce recipe fom Steve's book for the slaw. I just love to read the books and get ideas from time to time.

The best book on BBQ is the BBQ Brethren Q-Talk Roadmap thread, period.

Smoke and Spice It is great for beginners because it explains the basics of BBQ. It is great for experts because it provides great recipes.

I have a very large collectin of cook books but only a few regarding BBQ.
Here are my best reads.

Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ
Smoke and Spice
Dr BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Cookbook
BBQ USA
BBQ Bible

Here's the ones I like best.

Big Time BBQ
Paul Kirk's Champ. BBQ
BBQ Bible

Bossmanbbq said:
Brotha it is any and all that you like that might give the rest of us some ideas for future purchase :-D I'm making a list and giving it to the Bosslady, I have a birthday and Christmas coming you know.

Will do! I'll put the list together. Luckily my bride snags cookbooks for me as she sees them, so I have around 30. I get some every birthday, father's day, etc. I have some "standards" I use out of the 4 already listed. But have had successful cooks out of all of them.

Smoke and Spice was my first and will always be my favorite. I'm about through with copy #2 though, 'cause the back is cracking. I wonder if they make that in loose-leaf format??

I really like Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue but I get annoyed by his use of garlic salt and onion salt in some recipes and garlic powder and onion powder in others. I do not have the room for redundant spices like that and I wind up having to do a half assed conversion.

Smoke and Spice only uses powder in their recipes, so I give them a slight edge as my favorite book.

I also like my Field Guide to Meat as a general resource for cooking anything non-traditional.

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
I really like Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue but I get annoyed by his use of garlic salt and onion salt in some recipes and garlic powder and onion powder in others. I do not have the room for redundant spices like that and I wind up having to do a half assed conversion.

Smoke and Spice only uses powder in their recipes, so I give them a slight edge as my favorite book.

I also like my Field Guide to Meat as a general resource for cooking anything non-traditional.

Interesting observation regarding garlic and onion salt. I get that same opinion. Just use powdered or granulated onion or garlic and forget the salt. Just bought a veggie juicer here and I plan on juicing the onions and garlic for injections.

Back