Tri tip (pics)

run_smoke_run

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I grilled tri tip once before. I over cooked it and it was tough. I liked the idea that tri tip would give me the beefy flavor I craved but be something in between steak and brisket in terms of effort. I grabbed some left over brisket rub I had and tossed in a bit of cayenne. I haven't used cayenne before in my rubs. I think I overdid it a bit. I liked it, but it was hot and peppery
IMG_2159.jpg

I used pecan for the first time. I usually use hickory (ribs/chicken) and mesquite (brisket). I was surprised how strong the pecan smoke was. It reminded me more of mesquite than I was expecting. Of course I threw on some mesquite chunks at the end.

I was a bit disappointed in my bark. Next time I want to try it with no water pan. I removed the water pan about 1:15 in a 1:40 total smoke time, but still didn't get the bark I wanted. I pulled it at 133 internal temp. My fire was in the 230-250 range. I was really happy with the medium rare doneness.

IMG_2160.jpg

It's really hard to remember which way the grain goes before you rub it. I didn't remember correctly....

Oh well. Plenty to learn from and it tasted great too. Can't wait to make some steak sandwiches later this week! I've also got to figure out how to take better pictures. Maybe my iphone5, just isn't up to the task.

IMG_2162.jpg

Last edited:
I too have just discovered the awesomeness of tri tip. It is hard to come by around here. Yours doesn't look bad at all! Keep it up, and you'll soon have that tri tip nailed down. It makes a great piece of beef to cook when company comes over.

It looks like you cut it with the grain. That's why it was tough. Cutting a tri-tip is tricky since the grain changes in the middle of the roast.

It looks like you cut it with the grain. That's why it was tough. Cutting a tri-tip is tricky since the grain changes in the middle of the roast.
Yep Ron is right you gotta go against the grain. Prior to cooking you'll see in the middle area where the grain is running...cut it half right there after it's cooked and then cut against the grain cutting a an angle...and cut thin! Love some tri!

Ahh yes! Buy more tri tip and practice the cutting and feed the neighbors! Just joking, looks good!

It looks like it was cooked fine, but, as mentioned, it was tough because of how you cut it. Funny, lots of folks cut it like that, and it seems counter to how I would do it.

Also try cooking it to a higher temp. I cook mine to right around 150 and if sliced correctly and thinly, it's very tender, very moist and flavorful. Also resting in foil for 30-45 minutes seems to help.

I use Lindberg Snider Porterhouse and Roast Seasoning on my tri-tips and then smoke them at 250 degrees. Once it's done I brush with a higher end teriyaki sauce and allow it to rest in foil. Lastly I dredge the sliced meat through the juices which collected in the foil when serving.

look up reverse sear. i cook it indirect till i get an internal temp of about 130 and then cook direct over hot coals a few minutes to get a great sear and crust.

Ding, ding, ding. Cut against the grain (there are actually 3 patterns to deal with). Agree on a reverse sear. Either way, it looks tasty.

George, I know about reverse searing, but just didn't think about it. I bet that would be nice.

unixadm, I'm curious to cook it to a higher temp too. However, I really liked the 133 medium rare.

Looks great to me. Maybe a lil heavy on the rub but to each their own ya know. Teryiaki Tri Tip is big out here in CA...those are REALLY big here and its my go to meal for partys at 3.99 a lb but no more than that. I dredge them in the juice as well...im probably not cutting them right either but they are still great!

Yes...carving a Tri-tip is a little different...here is a video..that shows...how to.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU"]How To Carve A Tri-Tip Roast - TVWB - virtualweberbullet.com - YouTube[/ame]

Back