Free day... What to smoke?!?

T-doh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The wifey is taking the kids to the sheds aquarium sat... They'll be gone for most of the day getting home pretty late. So what else is a guy to do when he's got a bum back?! I'm wanting to do a long smoke, I've already done two Boston butts. So I'm thinking a brisket! Couple questions, how big of a brisket can I get that'll cook in 12-14 hours? Do you brine brisket? Best results for finishing one.. Foil? Thanks for any input y'all...

if your back hurts your boston butt hurt will too

we got a wave of rain going through to night so no BBQ for me today, this is my first day here

Depends on what you're smoking on. I can do a 12 pound packer on my UDS in about 7 to 8 hours. S+P, water pan, half worcestershire half water spray every hour starting at hour 3.

Brisket is, IMO, the hardest chunk of meat to cook well. If you decide to go that direction, buy a good hunk of meat -- USDA Choice or better, which will not be cheap.

If all you have done is a couple of butts, which are arguably the easiest pieces of meat to BBQ, you may want to aim a bit lower. Summertime is the perfect time for pork ribs. Fairly easy to cook, and full of summer flavor. Grill up some fresh corn on the cob, make a potato salad, and you have a perfect summer BBQ meal.

This time of year, I like to take advantage of the produce available right now. Ribs are a great compliment to those veggies. Lots of finger foods this time of year.

CD

I agree with Caseydog, brisket is a hard one to cook and get it right. But what the heck, all day to kill, plenty of cold brews may as well dive in. Most the brisket I have cooked have all been done in that time frame cooking at a pit temp of around 250 deg. I usually cook mine to a internal temp of around 165 deg. than wrap with foil to finish. Try a simply rub, I like to inject with a beef broth mixture also. Never rely on temp to tell when it is done. When it reaches a internal temp of around 180 to 190 start to probe it. When a probe goes in like butter it is done. Be sure to let it rest for a few hours before slicing and serving. Not a brisket expert but any means but this basic process works for me, well most of the time.

hey thanks for the input, i should've mentioned that i have been smoking almost every weekend for the past seven months. i just did seven racks of ribs last weekend for a work party. ive been itchung to try a brisket ever since i got my smoker. i think im just gonna go for it since i wont have much else to do! is salt and pepper the best rub? i make my own rub, just worried it would over power ge brisket.

I feel brisket is better cooked hot and fast. I'm probably in the minority but I've smoked a few low and slow and they always come out on the dry side. Hot and fast they come out moist, tender and fantastic. I can usually do a packer in half the time of cooking low and slow.
I hit them with a good bit of pecan and as the IT of the meat climbs I slack off on the smoke. I mix in pecan in the chute with the Stubbs and also add cherry or apply in the fire box. When I get the color I want, then I wrap in foil.

+1 for brisket. Always good to get the best grading available. Makes a big difference and worth the extra $$$.

! is salt and pepper the best rub? i make my own rub, just worried it would over power ge brisket.

Kosher Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder and a little bit of Cayenne is what I like. Salt and Pepper being the main ingredients.

I think you may like this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLJXFUkVvL7g6tSTue1GN9UEbc1K-9u0rE"]BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

I watched that video last night, pretty helpful since I've never even touched a brisket! I too like a little extra heat with ribs so had already planned on a dash of cayenne.. Only problem now is my local grocery doesn't have any and my plans have changed, un-freeing my once free weekend... Now I guess I'll hafta settle for some boring ol ribs or chicken... Bummer:doh:

Um... We need to get you with the program here buddy...:shock:
Dig around there should't be anything boring about ribs and chicken!!:becky:
Now go get some meat and report back, we'll get you smoking in no time!:thumb:

I think people get too worked up about brisket. It's not rocket science, honest! Don't be intimidated, you have to start somewhere! Just remember if it's not tender (use a toothpick), let it be. If you get it too tender you have pulled beef sandwiches, not terrible. The worst thing you can do is pull it too soon and have shoe leather. Good luck on your cook!

Back