smoked cheese quick help?

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
got a buddy at RD now, asked me to smoke some cheese.

never done it before, what is the highest temp i can go?(i know sounds like a dumb question, but i don't know)

colby jack a good choice?

thanks!!!

Your cheese shouldn't get any warmer than 90 degrees, which makes it a late Autumn/Winter proposition for me. You should be OK for the most part I'd imagine. Got a cold smoke generator?

Colby jack, gouda, provolone, swiss, cheddar, they're all good. The gouda is my favorite though.

Your cheese shouldn't get any warmer than 90 degrees, which makes it a late Autumn/Winter proposition for me. You should be OK for the most part I'd imagine. Got a cold smoke generator?

Colby jack, gouda, provolone, swiss, cheddar, they're all good. The gouda is my favorite though.

^^that...but you forgot the cream cheese. makes a good chili dip.

pick up a cheapy soldering iron, and drill a hole in the bottom of a can. put the end of the iron in, fill with wood chips, cover with foil (poke some holes), and you've got your very own cold smoke generator.

thanks boots, i've got WSM's.

did some quick searching, looks like very little fuel and ice in the water pan, but i haven't gotten a bead on max grate temp.

i'm looking to throw some on, during/before smoking some lonslo butts tonight.

^^that...but you forgot the cream cheese. makes a good chili dip.

pick up a cheapy soldering iron, and drill a hole in the bottom of a can. put the end of the iron in, fill with wood chips, cover with foil (poke some holes), and you've got your very own cold smoke generator.

thank you, maybe in the future, but i got enough to do tonight already.

What's the temperature where you're at? Last time I smoked cheese, It was 50* outside. I had a cold smoke generator, and some bowls of ice in my kettle. Interior temp still got close to 95*.

Matt

it's farkin hot. dome temp on the WSM's is prolly reading 150* in the sun. i'm not home just guessing.

Pepper jack, Cheddar, Swiss, Pavalone,Ghouda are my Favorites. I have cold smoked it in my offset in August here In Tx you just have to be smarter than the heat.
Keep the pit in the Shade Before starting spray it down with you hose to cool the steel. fill a pan with Ice and put a rack on top of the ice pan put the Cheese on the rack.

I made a cold smoke device pit of two cans and a piece of Foil.

This will Burn for 3 hrs. I smoke mine for an hour. Once done remove the cheese VACcuSUC it, refrigerate it for 1 Week. My Pit stayed at 80 deg outside temp was 98.

Sweet suggestions. I like the pics Bludawg. Also, the cheap soldering iron idea sounds pretty slick too!

+1 on Temp and cheese choices. I have also chunked it up into bite sized pieces and throw it in the freezer for a couple of hours before you smoke it. This helps battle temp issues and capture more smoke.

I am a sharp cheese fan, BUT for smoking I prefer mild or medium cheddar. If you use a sharp cheese, I think the flavor competes too much with the smoke your adding. With a mild cheese, the smoke complements instead of competing.

Sweet suggestions. I like the pics Bludawg. Also, the cheap soldering iron idea sounds pretty slick too!
I built one of them contraptions IMO it produced dirty smoke very acrid, Tasted Bloody Awfu!. Mine makes Sweet Blu.

Back