• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

lump coal vs kingsford

which one is better to Q with lump vs kingfords britquetts

Prepare yourself for a million different answers.....

Depends on what you are using it for and how you are cooking. Some guys swear that KBB is the devil in a bag and won't touch the stuff with a 20ft pole. Some don't care. Some like me, only use it for grilling and don't like to use it for doing long smokes.

Lump is widely accepted as a good "natural" source of fuel. Some don't like it because it can be unpredictable temperature wise and the quality of some bags of lump are sub par at best. That's a reason most guys will use uniform, quality briquettes over lump.

Me, I use Stubb's briquettes for the long smokes and use either KBB, Royal Oak lump, or Steakhouse briquettes depending which one I can catch on sale at wally world or Lowes for grilling.

All depends on what you like, there is no real clear, apples/oranges answer to which is better than the other..

I use B&B Lump in my trailer. Burns hot and fairly long. Kingsford doesn't provide the heat needed to get my pit up to temps quickly enough.

Kingsford is a useful tool. In my offset I use splits, but add some Kingsford to assure I always have a good coal bed.

If using as a main fuel I would use lump. I think it has better smell. I wouldn't hesitate to add some Kingsford as a moderator.

BBQ = No rules. Try, try,try, them all until you find what works best for you and your setup.
Me personally, it depends on what cooker I am using to what fuel I use. I use either Walmart brand briquettes or Stubbs in my UDS and Royal Oak lump in my Stumps Clone. What ever I can get on sale for grilling. There is no one type to use, just what's best for you. Hope that helps!!

I prefer Stubbs for my WSM, but will use other briquettes when necessary. For grilling I've settled into mostly Royal Oak lump, although I'll toss in some Kingsford, RO, or other brand briquettes sometimes as well if I want to keep the grill going longer without re-feeding it.

BBQ = No rules. Try, try,try, them all until you find what works best for you and your setup.
Me personally, it depends on what cooker I am using to what fuel I use. I use either Walmart brand briquettes or Stubbs in my UDS and Royal Oak lump in my Stumps Clone. What ever I can get on sale for grilling. There is no one type to use, just what's best for you. Hope that helps!!

I Agree here. Been experimenting more and more with lump and really enjoy it. I am very limited by what is sold here also.

For the grill or the smoker, lump gives a better taste, longer and hotter burn. I use it build the coal bed in my stick burner and then cook with splits.

Now, for dutch ovens (DO), NOTHING beats the consistency of Kingsford K charcoal. It some of the most consistent stuff in the world. We have tried every brand, from generic to every name, and we always go back to Kingsford K. All briquette charcoal lacks longevity, but for most DO cooking, you only need 2 hours at most (The exception is beans, which obviously need nearly all day). Two rounds of chimney lit Kingsford will get you through a two hour cook on the DO. Everything else, who knows what time you will get, as it almost seems to vary briquette by briquette...

For the grill or the smoker, lump gives a better taste, longer and hotter burn.

Although hotter burn I agree with, length of burn is debatable. I think the short burn of lump is what pushes a lot of folks to briquettes. I used RO lump on my old offset and to maintain a decent fire for a 250* cooking temp, I'd go through two bags of lump in a single 6 hour cook. I never fed it splits but did feed it chunks. The couple times I used briquettes instead, I'd go through a bag for the same temp and cook time. Just my experience though..

Although hotter burn I agree with, length of burn is debatable. I think the short burn of lump is what pushes a lot of folks to briquettes. I used RO lump on my old offset and to maintain a decent fire for a 250* cooking temp, I'd go through two bags of lump in a single 6 hour cook. I never fed it splits but did feed it chunks. The couple times I used briquettes instead, I'd go through a bag for the same temp and cook time. Just my experience though..

I agree with you on lump burning faster but your consumption rate got my interest

What kind of cooker do you have? and how big of bags are you using?

just curious

thanks

Lately I've been using lump for everything except long cooks on my 22.5 WSM. To ME there is a noticeable difference in a steak seared over lump and one cooked over KB. Salmon is much better also over lump.

Royal Oak burns hot and fast. If you use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, the coal lasts anywhere between 2-4 times as long as Royal oak. 2 months ago I used 2 20lb bags of royal oak. In the same amount of cooks I used less than 1 bag of wicked good weekend warrior.

I agree with you on lump burning faster but your consumption rate got my interest

What kind of cooker do you have? and how big of bags are you using?

just curious

thanks

The RO was used with my old Char-broil offset that as since been donated to a friend of a Brethren to get him started into the smoking world. It was modified with the typical mods; gasket, tuning plates, sheet metal baffle, grate level exhaust, two temp gauges on both ends at grate level, etc.

For a 5 or 6 hour cook, I would cruise through two bags of RO (8.8lb bag) easy. Maybe it was just the quality of RO or the lower density of lump but with briquettes I would use an entire bag of stubb's (15lb bag) charcoal plus chunks IF I was fighting the temps, which did happen from time to time.

So if you go by weight alone, I was consistently using more (~18lbs) lump from RO than using about a single 15lb bag of briquettes. 3lbs may not seem like much of a difference for one cook but over the span of 4 cooks, that's a difference of about ~12lbs. Over the course of a summer where one cooks almost every weekend, that can add up pretty quick.

The only reason I stuck with the lump instead of going completely to briquettes was the ash factor. Lump was a lot easier to clean up than the briquettes were and the briquettes would tend to choke down the fire as the ash would build up under the fire grate. Nothing a simple sweep underneath wouldn't help, but still annoying none the less.

Now, all I use is Stubb's in my UDS, PBC, and Coleman bullet since ash build up is less of a factor. For grilling in the kettles, I use whatever I can find on sale or is cheaper than the rest.

The RO was used with my old Char-broil offset that as since been donated to a friend of a Brethren to get him started into the smoking world. It was modified with the typical mods; gasket, tuning plates, sheet metal baffle, grate level exhaust, two temp gauges on both ends at grate level, etc.

For a 5 or 6 hour cook, I would cruise through two bags of RO (8.8lb bag) easy. Maybe it was just the quality of RO or the lower density of lump but with briquettes I would use an entire bag of stubb's (15lb bag) charcoal plus chunks IF I was fighting the temps, which did happen from time to time.

So if you go by weight alone, I was consistently using more (~18lbs) lump from RO than using about a single 15lb bag of briquettes. 3lbs may not seem like much of a difference for one cook but over the span of 4 cooks, that's a difference of about ~12lbs. Over the course of a summer where one cooks almost every weekend, that can add up pretty quick.

The only reason I stuck with the lump instead of going completely to briquettes was the ash factor. Lump was a lot easier to clean up than the briquettes were and the briquettes would tend to choke down the fire as the ash would build up under the fire grate. Nothing a simple sweep underneath wouldn't help, but still annoying none the less.

Now, all I use is Stubb's in my UDS, PBC, and Coleman bullet since ash build up is less of a factor. For grilling in the kettles, I use whatever I can find on sale or is cheaper than the rest.

oh ok. when you said "a bag" of lump, I did not know if you meant and 8.8lb or 20lb bag

makes sense now

Back