Franklin Barbecue Austin, TX- Yes, it's as good as you've heard

Q*bert

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had the good fortune to be in Austin, TX a few weeks ago on business & realized it was the perfect opportunity to visit Franklin Barbecue. The proprietor Aaron Franklin, as I'm sure you're all aware, is one of the hosts of BBQ Pitmasters. I don't know about you, but with anything that gets so much hype, I'm always skeptical. I've heard all about the brisket, & all about the line out the door and I'm here to tell you, you won't be disappointed by either.

They're open Tues-Sun 11 Am until sold out according to a sign made out of a square of cardboard with sharpie lettering taped to the front window. I got there at 11:45 and took my place at the back of the line you see below. At some point during the wait they handed a sign to a man 5 spots in front of me that said "Last man standin'" That means he was the last person in line guaranteed to get brisket. I decided to wait it out. Two groups between me and him gave up & left.

After an hour & 25 minutes in line I was at the counter ordering my food. I got the 2 meat plate with brisket & ribs. The rib review is short. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. The brisket review, on the other hand, would take more time than I think you're willing to invest in this post. Plus I could possibly wind up with carpal tunnel syndrome just from writing it. Suffice to say that everything you've heard about Aaron's brisket is absolutely true. It's a 10.

If you're ever in Austin, or anywhere close, make sure you make a detour to Franklin Barbecue. And get there early.

Attachments

• IMAG2149-1.jpg
    IMAG2149-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG2138.jpg
    IMAG2138.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG2142.jpg
    IMAG2142.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG2144-1.jpg
    IMAG2144-1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG2145.jpg
    IMAG2145.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 163
As much as I'd like to try it, I ain't standing in no line for an hour and a half for any body's BBQ.

Thanks for standing in line and reporting the findings, but I already figured it was good....

Back