• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Foiled brisket internal temp > 205 - What happens?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Imagine a small brisket flat (4-5 lbs), smoked for a few hours then foiled with a brisket marinade. Temperature is slowly climbing. What happens to the brisket as it gets over the 200-205-210 area.

It's foiled with a good cup of marinade so it seems hard to believe it will dry out. Will it turn to mush? Pulled brisket flat maybe?

Anyone ever done this?

John

Although I usually cook packers, this should go for flats too. A brisket cooked to 160s, then foiled until 205 should still be sliceable. I usually don't foil, but when I do, I don't add any liquid. If you add liquid and foil too soon, it's like putting it in a crock pot and you may have to shred it. As for temperature, I start checking for probe tender when it reaches 195 and have never needed to go over 205.

Imagine a small brisket flat (4-5 lbs), smoked for a few hours then foiled with a brisket marinade. Temperature is slowly climbing. What happens to the brisket as it gets over the 200-205-210 area.

It's foiled with a good cup of marinade so it seems hard to believe it will dry out. Will it turn to mush? Pulled brisket flat maybe?

Anyone ever done this?

John

Brisket is done when it is probe tender, no matter what the temp.
Has nothing to do with foil or not.

When a probe slides in easily, put it aside to rest for an hour or more and enjoy.

TIM

Thanks guys - my question was simply what happens to brisket when hits > 205 or so. I mentioned the foil and foil marinade to remove the idea that it would dry out. Clearly a brisket at 215 degrees with no foil may very well be a lump of hard coal.

Looks like pulled or mushy shredded brisket is what happens.

Hopefully I won't get to that stage today! THANKS!

It all depends on how fast you got the brisket to that internal temp. If you are cooking at 275 or higher 205 probably isn't even done but it really is different per animal. Some folks that cook at 350+ won't pull until 215.

I too only do packers. Also quit using foil all together once I got my butcher paper. My thanksgiving brisket went to 209* in the last part of the flat to probe tender.
This is where I found a difference from my others. Since my little one complained about the bark last time I first cut 2 slices with the grain followed by another 2 against it. Both looked pretty dry. I then cut it at a 45 to the grain and found it to be moist, glistening and delicious!
I probe starting around 195* I leave the probe in just to see where it's at when it's tender for my records.
2nd I feel the butcher paper insulates the meat where the foil does not.
3rd I'm really lucky with every packer coming out well!
Don't be afraid to experiment

Back