View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
So yesterday was my first time using the CyberQ wifi. It set it very easily with my verizon FIOS router. The website it generates loads slowly but its reasonable enough. I love that I can be at the grocery store and check on the status of my pit/meats.

The only thing I found odd was, it never hit and held my desired tempt (250). At one point, it was even running VERY hot (280) so I had to close everything down. It wanted to run at 260 most of the time. I found it particularly odd that even at temps of 260+ the fan would be blowing, albeit at 5% but still blowing. I see no reason to introduce more oxygen to an already over temp pit.

To be completely fair, I committed a sin in BBQ. I changed multiple things in my process. I should have known better and only changed 1 thing - the guru. I typically cook with water on my WSM. This time, I cooked with a foiled pan. I believe this MAY have caused the volatility in the temps. On the bright side, I used DRAMATICALLY less charcoal without water.

Another odd thing that happened was the guru for no apparent reason said the internal temp of the pit was over 400 - triggering an alarm. It auto-corrected itself back to 255 but the alarm continued to sound until I reset it. I am a little concerned about this jump in temp.

Anyway - any other owners out there find this unit to be less than ideal? especially when compared to the digi Q?
Make sure you boil test your probs to make sure there good even if there new. I had the same thing happen to me and it was a faulty prob.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP