spatchcock yardbird with oakridge game changer

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
just a little cook i did on sunday for my wife's co-worker. she's been craving BBQ chicken.

i spatchcocked a bell and evans chicken. this was my first time, needed a bit of help to get it done, but turned out pretty well.

View attachment 63882

then i mixed up some oakridge gamechanger and poured it into the bowl with the chicken after it had cooled to 40* in the freezer.

View attachment 63883

let it sit in there for 4 hours in the fridge, rinsed, and sprinkled with oakridge secret weapon. i put it under the skin and on. i was using my left hand to sprinkle and wound up putting waaay too much on the surface, you'll see the results of that in the last pic. not ideal but alas, it'll still be tasty.

View attachment 63884

onto the kettle indirect @ 325* with a small chunk of applewood.

View attachment 63885

i expected @ 1.5 hour cook time so i checked it a little before the hour mark. thigh was 185*!!!! crap. i was shooting for 150*. another thing to pay closer attention to in the future.

anyway, i sauced with some blues hog smoky mountain and TR. and let that set for @ 5 minutes and pulled it off to rest.
you can see where the excess rub built up into blobs on the surface. not the nice laquered finish i was shooting for, but again, still it'll be tasty.

View attachment 63887

i sliced a small peice off to test and to my surprise it was not dry and stringy, but tender, flavorful, and , moist. i think they'll have a nice lunch today.

*edit* how do i remove this pic? vvvvv it doesn't appear in the post when i go to edit.

Last edited:
Looks Great! I'm always heay-handed when it comes to applying the rub, and yours doesn't look out of hand at all. Thanks for giving our new brine a try!

Good job! With a whole bird, you're usually going to want your thigh temp to be a good 15-20 degrees higher than your breast temp, so 185 on the thigh really isn't bad..it's actually just about right. Glad you enjoyed it!

*edit* how do i remove this pic? vvvvv it doesn't appear in the post when i go to edit.

It should show up as an attachment. Edit the post then go to the advanced editor and then look below the post and there should be a place to manage attachments.

thanks ronelle, i tried that but the image doesn't appear either in the post or below in the manage attatchments.

odd.

Kind of amazing that even when a cook gets away from you it's still pretty dang good and better than what you'll get in a lot of other places. I've used the GC brine the past couple of weekends with great results! :thumb:

Thanks for posting and good luck killing that zombie chicken pic!

looks amazing! I really like the 1/2 cup of EVO combined with 1/2 cup of Secret Weapon and let it marinate in that for an hour, after it has been brined for an hour.

I placed my order for more brine and Secret Weapon last night!!!! :grin:

thanks guys. the first review is in.

my wife head down and shaking in the no-no-no fashion of someone ashamed but admitting what they done fashion because she ate too much. :becky:

"it was rrreally good, rreally good"

the girl knows good bird, cooks and eats prolly 2 whole ones a week and doesn't particularly care for bbq'ed and sometimes even peels the skin off. :shock: :tsk:

but i have to hand it to oakridge game changer, the meat must've been fantastic for that moment of confession and praise.

Back