Bacon pr0n!

Q-Dan

Reaction score
I finally found a local source for affordable, farm-raised, antibiotic-free pork in part of the world and got a nice, 12-pound fresh side from them a couple of weeks back. This was my second stab at curing and smoking bacon and I thought there was no room for improvement after the first go-round, but I think I've actually outdone myself this time :bow:

The slab, before I slathered the cure on...
1slab.jpg

A while back, I got in an exchange in this thread about whether the pros and cons of using pink salt or not and I said I was going to try a sample this time without. So I saved a couple of trim pieces and went with the usual cure ingredients, minus the pink salt.

You can see in this shot that the slab that got the regular cure (on the bottom) is still pretty much pinkish-reddish. The piece on top is one of the trim pieces that didn't get any pink salt and it's more grayish-brown. I cured for a week in the fridge, flipping the slabs every night.
2diff.jpg

This about half the slab, right out of the smoker. It took about 4.5 hours to get it to 150°. I used mostly cherry and a little hickory this time and really like the dark color I got from it. I can't tell that it tastes much different that the apple I used last time, but it sure is purty!
3done.jpg

And here are the "chef's samples" I cut and fried up when it was done. Good stuff, I tell ya! :thumb:
4sliced.jpg

Remember this scene from the movie "Contact?" I feel the exact same way about this bacon...
Bacon - YouTube

nice looking hunk of pork!!! which tasted better with or without the pink salt?? I usually just leave it out but the color really i different!

Oh my! That looks very tasty! :thumb:

that puts the bacon i eat to shame. great work! i will definately have to try this

Looks Awesome!!! I gotta try that soon!! But its a week in the fridge?? I'll have to get another fridge first...lol

Bee-autiful! Just had some I did for breakfast & have a couple more curing to smoke on Monday - this time I threw in a little crushed garlic & crushed bay leaf - we'll see how that goes.

Fantastic work there sir! :clap2:

Awesome work there Mate! :clap2:
Once you've made your own bacon there is no going back to shop bought!

Back