View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

boogie, I was thinking about a competition a few years back. A team made it to finals in whole hog. I was a finals judge. One particular entry was fan-dang-tastic all by itself. However, they presented it with a sauce, which we had to judge with the pork; no choice. I recognized the sauce from the previous day; it won the sauce contest. Right off you're thinking: Bingo, we have a winner. Not to be. The sauce conflicted with the spices/flavor on the pork. They didnt work together at all. On this day the best tasting most moist best presented whole hog got 2nd place because they presented it with a great sauce that didnt go with the meat at all. Afterwards, judges all talking amongst ourselves (afterwards, mind you), we found out that we all agreed, down the line. Perfect barbecue hurt because the great sauce didnt go with it well. The sauce should compliment the flavor of the meat; enhance it if you will. Not conflict, and no over-power.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote