Question on how much to smoke...

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looks like I will be selling at a local county fair this year. Last year, they had 35,000 people attend. How many butts should I smoke for pulled pork sandwiches? How much should I begin with?

Thanks

Dex what kind of equiptment do you have to cook on? How many other food vendors are there? Are there any other BBQ places set up?

Poll vendors that have sold there in the past. Most will freely offer up traffic history.

I will have to get the numbers on how many other food vendors were there. I do know that there was 1 person selling bbq.

If this is me and I was going to just sell sandwiches. Depending on the amount of days. I would have around 400 lbs of cooked product. Two people working and blow them out. You can get about 3 sandwiches per pound @6-7 per sandwich. Good luck! Dont run out, worst thing you can ever do.

Dex,

Don't go into it thinking you'll feed all 35K, there are a lot of factors here. Like other food vendors, hours of operation of the fair, weather (the main one) and how much space you actually have to bring in equipment/trailer etc. . and serve from and how much are they (the fair) charging you?

Kev, is right see if you can talk to other vendors and see what the traffic is like, don't go by what the fair organizers say.

Back