WiredBBQ.com and the Banquet

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just curious as to the course of discussions that led the entire BOD to determine that allowing WiredBBQ.com to broadcast the banquet TOY awards and election results was a bad idea. I see no negative aspect to this and many people who will get the honor of walking to the stage I'm sure would love to be able to have had their families at home see them receive these honors. Maybe a board member will discuss.

Looks like the podcast is out there. It's a little late for me to start listening tonight but once I hear it I'll add a comment on the discussion. It's near the end so it may be painful.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.

Was WiredBBQ.com proposing to charge for this?

Was WiredBBQ.com proposing to charge for this?

Sounds like the BoD was expecting to be paid by WiredBBQ.com and didn't want them to set a precedence of a low market price without others putting in proposals.

At least that is what it sounds like to me.

So they expected to be paid to get free publicity online? They expected to be paid so that my family and everyone else's families could see us get awards that we all worked hard for all year? That would be disappointing to hear that this really was the case, Rich. I hope you're wrong.

Begs the question... how is this decision in any way doing what's best for the TEAMS? That's why we need cooks on the board and not all reps!

What BS!
I usually stay out of these conversations. But I was looking forward to the cast. I never hear anything positive coming from or about the BOD.
What BS!

The board only felt that many people would not come to the event itself if they could stay home and watch it online, KCBS might be slitting the throat of it's own event. We would also not have time to put it out to others who may have a desire to film this event and it would be unfair to them (BBQ TV and others) who have also been long supporters of BBQ. There was no talk of charging money for the oppportunity to produce this either.

There board nothing against wiredbbq.com just the effect of not allowing all or disallowing all is the only fair way to do this, who knows, maybe next year with more notice, the board may reconsider.

Gene, last I heard, the banquet was nearly full. There is only room for 600 members in that room. There are over 14,000 members out there. I understand the thought but people don't come to the banquet just for the awards. If they were planning on going, it would be to have chances at the raffles for prizes and contests and to enjoy a weekend with friends. Seeing any of us getting awards would be way, WAY secondary.

Maybe there were no other proposals, because there was not another group wanting to do it? If BBQ TV or others had wanted to do it, I would think they would have asked. Or, If KCBS were worried about equal time for folks that might want to broadcast... KCBS could have offered to open it to be broadcast by multiple organizaitons. In actuality it should help the event grow, not shrink.... folks that are unable to attend, could watch it, and get excited to come to the next one. I don't see how the conclusion could be made that it would cut the throat of the event. But obviously the board acted unanimously... so there had to be something driving it. oh well... Not the outcome I expected , but not surprised.

Thanks for the frank commentary Gene. I wholeheartedly disagree with the thought process, but appreciate you sharing it.

the board only felt that many people would not come to the event itself if they could stay home and watch it online, kcbs might be slitting the throat of it's own event. We would also not have time to put it out to others who may have a desire to film this event and it would be unfair to them (bbq tv and others) who have also been long supporters of bbq. There was no talk of charging money for the oppportunity to produce this either.

There board nothing against wiredbbq.com just the effect of not allowing all or disallowing all is the only fair way to do this, who knows, maybe next year with more notice, the board may reconsider.

bs....

Wow. I don't normally get involved in KCBS debates but this is the most mentally challenged thing I have ever seen. Why would broadcasting the event cut down on attendance? People would much rather see a concert live than watch a webcast that is impersonal and choppy.

I would have submitted a counter offer to come broadcast it if that's the issue but PR101 says the more coverage the better...

If anyone has contact info for the WiredBBQ guys please shoot it over. I've got some ideas. :)

Wow. I don't normally get involved in KCBS debates but this is the most mentally challenged thing I have ever seen. Why would broadcasting the event cut down on attendance? People would much rather see a concert live than watch a webcast that is impersonal and choppy.

I would have submitted a counter offer to come broadcast it if that's the issue but PR101 says the more coverage the better...

If anyone has contact info for the WiredBBQ guys please shoot it over. I've got some ideas. :)

I know, right? :crazy: Let any and all come! BBQ TV doesn't do live broadcasts so it's altogether different! Let them BOTH show up!

Back