Dumb baby back rib question

R

rickthechef

I am throwing on 6 racks (hope they fit) of baby backs tomorrow morning on weber bullet. Should i rub tonight or just do it before the smoke?

To me, it depends on the rub. Generally I like to have the rub on them for awhile. Typically overnight.

Won't hurt either way. If there is alot of salt it may pull some moisture and look wet in the morning but not enough to dry your rib out. Might get a little deeper flavor penetration. I've done them both ways. If I prep the night before and mix my rub... Ill usually go ahead and put it on so I don't have to clean up twice. Can't ever tell a difference on taste or texture.

Whatever floats your boat brother smoker...the bb's won't care either way! :cool: I usually rub 'em up the night before then give 'em a light dusting before tossin' em' on the pit...:becky:

I've done it both ways too and never noticed a difference in rubbing them over night or just before I put em on. I'm also smoking 6 racks myself tomorrow and I plan on rubbing them in the morning.

I figure 2 hours before should be good enough. Anyone think a mustard rub 1st is any good? Then do the dry rub?

What JD said is right. If you put your rub on the night before, add more in the morning before the ribs go into the smoker. As for fitting them into your smoker, it doesn't hurt to stack them up. I learned this on an Emeril episode, and have used it many times. If you stack them with the curved side up; then as the juices drip downward, they catch in the next rack down which keeps them good and moist. You just take the bottom rack and move it to the top about every 45 minutes or so. :clap2::rockon:

Be careful with the second rubbing. Last time I did that they wound up too salty. As I remember, someone talked me into putting Lowery's into my rub. Never had luck with that stuff. I know some guys use it religiously with great success. Also read somewhere that if you rub too soon (longer than 24 hours) it could make pork taste hammy.

I figure 2 hours before should be good enough. Anyone think a mustard rub 1st is any good? Then do the dry rub?

Rick - you have 6 racks.. prep them in different combos of time when you rubbed, which had mustard applied etc. and decide for yourself. Make sure to mark them with varying #'s of toothpicks for tracking.

It's the only way you'll know what YOU like best.

Last edited:
I am throwing on 6 racks (hope they fit) of baby backs tomorrow morning on weber bullet. Should i rub tonight or just do it before the smoke?
That's a loaded question.

For me no matter what Rib's I buy I always marinade 24 hours in the fridge. ( Some people say that's an over kill and it will make the ribs taste hammy, But you know what? I've never had that problem ever and I've done about 6 sets of ribs. )

My last set of ribs turned out the best using the 3-1-1 method.

I hope this has helped and I'm looking forward seeing your ribs.

By the way man. No question is stupid, just unanswered.

I've always had good luck with a light mustard coating followed by your dry rub, wrap them up in plastic and put them in the frig for about two hours. I've tried doing overnight with rub on and sometimes I'd get a "hammy" taste because the salt in the rub is curing the pork but that's just my opinion.

I just hit them with the rub about 90 minutes before they go on the cooker. I wait for the rub to "melt" into the meat and then but them on. I use a light coating of honey mustard to help keep the rub on.

That's a loaded question.

For me no matter what Rib's I buy I always marinade 24 hours in the fridge. ( Some people say that's an over kill and it will make the ribs taste hammy, But you know what? I've never had that problem ever and I've done about 6 sets of ribs. )

My last set of ribs turned out the best using the 3-1-1 method.

I hope this has helped and I'm looking forward seeing your ribs.

By the way man. No question is stupid, just unanswered.

Derek - FYI... it you're using no salt, or very little in your rub, this would substantially reduce the chance of hammy ribs.

I agree with Vinny. Do a couple each way, overnite rub, 1 toothpick, mustard slather-overnite, 2 toothpicks, morning rub, without mustard, 3 toothpicks......etc, then you can tell us your results.

Back