• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Sandblast it out. Check around for prices. There is a guy near me who told me he would sandblast a drum for $25.00. Then, get a weed burner and burn it that way.

I thought those things cost a lot more than that! That's definitely the way to go. Do you think I could get 2 barrels burned out with 1 propane tank?

I just bought a weed burner from HF with the lighter on sale for $29.95. They may still be on sale if you have a store nearby.

I just bought a weed burner from HF with the lighter on sale for $29.95. They may still be on sale if you have a store nearby.

That is the same one that I purchase. No looking for matches. Works awesome.

Last edited:
I thought those things cost a lot more than that! That's definitely the way to go. Do you think I could get 2 barrels burned out with 1 propane tank?

Probably not. I burnt my barrel and used the weed burner on the lid and a few stubborn spots and used most of a tank.

OK. I have made it through much of this thread, and am ready to build a UDS. Just a few questions. I am looking to build it with a Kettle lid, 2 cooking grates, and a waterpan...sort of a poor mans 22.5 WSM. Does this sound reasonable? To expect WSM like performance out of a UDS? My plan is to use it at home when I don't want to fire up my larger GF cooker. If i performs as advertised, I'd like to make it a dedicated brisket contest cooker.

Any insight would be appreciated, especially as related to a UDS with a water pan or contest cooking.

Thank you.

Matt

WOW! Finally finished this thread

Ok Gang I paid my dues. I dedicated all day last Saturday to reading all of these posts, well Saturday came and went, Sunday came and went, as well as Monday and Tuesday and just now, at 8:37 PM on Wednesday night I finished reading all 370 pages of this thread.

I jumped the gun in the early stages and ordered a "Food Grade" 55 gallon drum and ended up with the dreaded tan liner. After reading the many, many many numerous comments about how hard it is to burn this out I went on a quest today to find an unlined drum. We have an Ice Cream manufacturing plant here in my town so I headed to them with no luck, all they have is lined drums.

We have a Land-O-Frost manufacturing plant here also and someone told me I might find a drum there so tomorrow I am going there. If no luck I will commence the burning out of my drum. I will keep the brethren posted as I go along on this build.

I want to thank each and every person who has contributed to this thread, I feel I am well prepared to start my UDS although I know I will be coming back to this group for help.

I've run into a problem with my new barrels. They have the red liner in them and now I've been informed that I can't burn it out per village rules, "no open fires". So now what? Can I sand/grind it out? Will a heat gun work? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new barrel, sans liner?

You can get a weed burner and use that to torch the liner. Or, if you burn on a cloudy/rainy day that may work. And as you said, grinding/sanding/sand blasting it out is also an option.

As of yesterday I have obtained a weed burner. Do you think just using the weed burner will work or should I do a burn and then use the weed burner to clean up what is left. I don't mind the buring but dread crawling inside of a drum and trying to wire brush and sand the sides. I might be the end of this old man.

OK. I have made it through much of this thread, and am ready to build a UDS. Just a few questions. I am looking to build it with a Kettle lid, 2 cooking grates, and a waterpan...sort of a poor mans 22.5 WSM. Does this sound reasonable? To expect WSM like performance out of a UDS? My plan is to use it at home when I don't want to fire up my larger GF cooker. If i performs as advertised, I'd like to make it a dedicated brisket contest cooker.

Any insight would be appreciated, especially as related to a UDS with a water pan or contest cooking.

Thank you.

Matt
I don't think you have any understanding of what a UDS is.

On the contrary, the UDS can be all things to all people. Just because someone wants to run a water pan in it (why, I don't know), doesn't mean anything. The UDS is about making something on the cheap, experimenting in a way that makes it your own, and creating the best Q ever.

As of yesterday I have obtained a weed burner. Do you think just using the weed burner will work or should I do a burn and then use the weed burner to clean up what is left. I don't mind the buring but dread crawling inside of a drum and trying to wire brush and sand the sides. I might be the end of this old man.

Hit it with the weed burner until the metal glows red. Your drum will never run at temps near that, and anything that is going to off-gas will be gone.

Wow. UDS cookers are many things to many people. I like the idea of it being a pit style cooker, unlike my previous Backwoods, FEC, Stumps, and Superior Smokers. I ALSO like the idea of cooking with a water pan, and wanted some input on that type of flexibility.

Thank you so much for you insightful comments, I am sure they will be treasured by forum members for years and years.

ML

Wow. UDS cookers are many things to many people. I like the idea of it being a pit style cooker, unlike my previous Backwoods, FEC, Stumps, and Superior Smokers. I ALSO like the idea of cooking with a water pan, and wanted some input on that type of flexibility.

Thank you so much for you insightful comments, I am sure they will be treasured by forum members for years and years.

ML

I know some people do use water pans in there UDS. I put u-bolts in lower than may cooking rack in case I ever wanted to experiment with using a drip pan or water pan. It's all to to personal preference... I haven't done enough cooking on my UDS to say much about the "open pit" flavor, but it was a good change from my indirect weber kettle cooking...

On the contrary, the UDS can be all things to all people. Just because someone wants to run a water pan in it (why, I don't know), doesn't mean anything. The UDS is about making something on the cheap, experimenting in a way that makes it your own, and creating the best Q ever.

Yup- you are absolutely correct. Very well said in fact. But I don't think I'm wrong!:biggrin:

ML
My comment wasn't in keeping with my normal reserve nor the usual forum decorum. With your background I am sure you will make the UDS perform and if you are half as happy with your drums as most of us are, you will see where I was coming from. Good luck with your build.

mushcreek...
Thanks for the link on the stainless lid for my stainless UDS.
My stainless drum rim is just slightly larger than the steel one I had.
I really had to work the rim of the steel lid with a hammer and dolly to get it to seal. It's only temporary though until I get a dome lid.
I just couldn't wait to smoke some meat...

Back