• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Am I The Only One That Does Not Like Bark?

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I know, I may get really slammed for this one.

It seems everyone says that the Bark is the best part of a Butt or a Brisket. I have now cooked enough Butts, I would say at least 75 and a few Briskets, that seems to be a enough for an educated statement.

To me the Bark is a thick, usually overcooked, hard and crusted outer layer of the meat. I just don't get it as to, why this is something that people crave.

I see the Bark as a protective layer that seals in the juices and flavor of the meat but for eating is to say the least, not very appetizing.

I have tried Foil, this seems to soften the bark somewhat, still to me undesirable and no Foil producing a definite crust layer that I could use for a Flip-Flop. Regardless the Bark is about 1/8 inch of hard coat.

With most all my cooks that go on for 10-15+ hours how can anything that is exposed to the heat and smoke that long be good?

This is a serious observation and not intended to be a disagreement as to your cooking skills of those of you that disagree. Only looking for your opinions and advice.

No you are not. I'm the only one in my family that likes the bark. I usually chop it up pretty fine and leave it in the pulled pork.

I think more people would not like bark if they saw a pork but with bark come off the smoker. But most people see the stuff already pulled.

depending on the mood... im generally with you.. but sometimes, i like chewin on that hard flavord flipflop material...but i think you are right in the statement that is is a jacket holdin in all the (real) good stuff (pharahrasing) ;);)

im not a big bark fan either and no one in my fmaily likes it, so if im not foiling, i spray towards the end to soften it up.

I dont like the hard crust on briskets at all, but i dont mind the thinner one on pork butts.

I love bark, hence the reason I love burnt ends. Not everyone likes it though. Nothing wrong with that.

I like women, therefore I like bark. Its okay to like men though... just not for me. Cuz I like women.

Women like Mindy Vega.. what were we talking about?

No you are not. I'm the only one in my family that likes the bark. I usually chop it up pretty fine and leave it in the pulled pork.

That make a good point! If chopped fine the flavors will mix nicely with the meat, giving it a nice texture!

im not a big bark fan either and no one in my fmaily likes it, so if im not foiling, i spray towards the end to soften it up.

I dont like the hard crust on briskets at all, but i dont mind the thinner one on pork butts.

Me too, the Butts seem to have a better Bark taste than the Beef. But again, only to me if chopped fine like Larry mentioned.

So, you don't like hard crusts on your butt either!

Is the crust burnt? What rubs are you using? Could it be that the sugar in the rub is burning?
Is the crust bitter? How much wood to you use? Could it be oversmoked?

What rubs are you using?
Is the crust bitter? If so, it could be oversmoked
Is the crust burnt? If so, it could be that the sugar in the rub is burning

How much wood to you use?

And maybe you just don't like bark...

I like the bark on the butts and brisket that I cook, but, I have had some pulled pork and brisket with hard nasty bark that is like wood chips. I hate that stuff.

Everyone in my family loves it. I have eaten pulled pork and briskets before with very little bark and I much prefer the thick bark.

I have used baked beans recipes that call for burnt ends, but somehow i never have any of them to spare for some reason.

I think bark is overrated also. I trim the fat so only the thinest possible fat cap is left and use a sugar free rub. Better that way.
I like women too.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I like some but, I have had a few pieces that where too think with not much tender meat.

Ruff, RUUUUFFF. Bark rules!!!

I do foil, after about 5+- hours on smoke. When foiling, I spray it down pretty
good. The bark isn't nearly as crusty & hard as it once was. The family used
to not care for bark, now they're barkaholics...

Ruff.

It's funny you ask. Just last night I was picking out some bark from a frozen bag of left over que in the freezer and my wife looked at me and said "you've got to be kidding me". To which I replied, "Oh honey it's my new invention. The pork-cicle! She apeared to gag. I LOVE BARK!

Back