Next for txschutte? Brick and Mortar?

I have a real job. Pays well. That's why I'm keeping it until BBQ makes me more than Project Supervisor does.

It's more than money now though. It's having something else that I can't explain, but you know what I mean.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! :p Good luck brother smoker! :biggrin:

Okay, I was waiting for Grail...but since he is not here, if Mrs. Tex does the books, and the boys do all the cooking, what exactly is your roll?

WHAT?

Do I have some kind of reputation when it comes to Shane? I've never had a bad thing to say about him! Have I?

Is anyone willing to give up some insider tips to a tenant lease space contract? I want to know about SOP's for terms, conditions and backout clauses.
What tips are you looking for? I am from CA, consequently, we always used an attorney for out negotiations. I can say that out policy was the everything was described and proscribed. Not just price, but who is responsible for what? Where does the landlords responsibility and liability end and the tenants start? Exactly who pays for what, how much is paid for, who handles costs beyond those basic to the building? Make sure that the end of the contract is described clearly also, who is responsible for what should the agreement end? What happens if the building is sold or ownership is assumed by a third party? etc...

It's more than money now though. It's having something else that I can't explain, but you know what I mean.

Its called Mid Life Crisis! Did you get your Porche Convertable yet? :p

Shane, I really wish you well, you have the opportunity a lot of us wish they could do! It's my dream to open a place, after I retire, just recently though for some reason its wanting it to be a BBQ place!:eek:
Your family is behind you with their blessings GO FOR IT!!

Roy

Sounds like a great deal Shane. If you would already be making money just by not having to rent a kitchen then all you have to do is make up your startup costs to get back to even. Your breakeven on your catering would go down. As long as you don't have any major remodel expenses to cover it seems like a great deal with very little added costs. Is the building already set up as a takeout place or will you have to do remodel to get it there? Does it already have the kitchen facilities you need?

At that price your debt service is so small I can't see it being a mistake even if you decide not to do takeout and just use it as your vending kitchen instead of renting.

Heck, you could just do take out dinner service 3 or 4 nights a week and prep for your vending while you are there and kill 2 birds with one stone.

I do agree with the advice of not giving up a good job in this economy though. I'd make this more of a second profession if it was me.

Sounds like a great deal Shane. If you would already be making money just by not having to rent a kitchen then all you have to do is make up your startup costs to get back to even. Your breakeven on your catering would go down. As long as you don't have any major remodel expenses to cover it seems like a great deal with very little added costs. Is the building already set up as a takeout place or will you have to do remodel to get it there? Does it already have the kitchen facilities you need?

At that price your debt service is so small I can't see it being a mistake even if you decide not to do takeout and just use it as your vending kitchen instead of renting.

Heck, you could just do take out dinner service 3 or 4 nights a week and prep for your vending while you are there and kill 2 birds with one stone.

I do agree with the advice of not giving up a good job in this economy though. I'd make this more of a second profession if it was me.
I wholeheartedly agree. Insurance and benefits aren't something I can pay myself right now. I have a good job now, with a great employer. I even mentioned about this building to him earlier today, and he thinks a BBQ takeout place is a great idea, and knows my side biz doesn't interfere with my day biz.

As far as the building goes, I'm not totally sure what needs to be done. You only get so much info while peering through plate glass. I would need to do some sort of counter and SS tables for sure. Looks like the 3 basin and hand wash are all there. Place looks like like an old brick storefront from the '40's. The building is deeper than just the front of the store, so I want to know what is in the back (mechanicals, storage, etc) also need to know where the FEC will be placed if all is a go.

I'll have the info soon!

Or a beauty parlor...
I t was a beauty parlor in that pic. Then it was a cookie shop. Both of those businesses moved a block away, to the main street. Their businesses went through the roof (so to speak). I'm hoping that maybe the building has one left in her....

LOL @ Larry...

Hang a big ol' BBQ sign out front and that will be a great looking storefront! When you told the rent I pictured FAR worse!

I hope it lives up to expectations when you tour it Shane!

Cozad BBQ and Beauty Salon
Smoked or Waxed You'll Love Our Butts

BBQ places do not belong on the main street, they belong in old brick buildings, down a side street, in what used to be a beauty parlor.

Is anyone willing to give up some insider tips to a tenant lease space contract? I want to know about SOP's for terms, conditions and backout clauses.

There are no insider tips, as every lease and situation is different. The lease you're being asked to sign may have terms and conditions that are fine for me, but entirely unacceptable to you.

Hire an a local attorney to review the lease and walk you through it. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something. The $150 dollars or so you pay could save you thousands. If you have specific questions or concerns that aren't clearly addressed in the lease as presented, your attorney can put them in (assuming the landlord agrees to the changes) so there is no question later.

It's always cheaper to pay a lawyer to negotiate now than to litigate later.

Good luck

Chris

Back