Why Fri/Sat?

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Being a relative newbie to the comp world, I'm wondering why most competitions are Fri/Sat versus Sat/Sun. With most having to take off work on Friday, just curious if people prefer the Fri/Sat format and why it's the historical precedent for contests. Church comes to mind, but I'm not sure it that's the reasoning or not. I know some people like to rest on Sunday, but I'd rather rest at work :rolleyes:

We just had a discussion about this on the California board. We recently got to try the Sat/Sun format at the Lancaster contest, and the consensus was that it doesn't work as well for most competitors in an area where many have to travel multiple hours to get to a venue.

It was nice to get up early and drive on Saturday, arrive late in the afternoon and set up in the pre-sunset wind and get straight to work, but tearing down on Sunday and THEN setting out on a seven-hour drive (made a few hours longer by a closed freeway due to a wildfire, and much-needed nap stops) made for a really awful Monday.

In some instances, there's an organizational reason -- when concurrent events that the BBQ contest is tied to come off on Saturday, for instance.

My ASSumption, and I remind you this is just a guess, is that it has to do with church. If a comp were on a Sat/Sun, all the teams, judges, volunteers, and potential visitors would have to miss church on Sunday morning. Another thing, as some one who has done a Sat/Sun comp before, I missed having a night to recover and a day to unpack before returning to work. Any other ideas?

dmp

Yeah, I get having to drive home late on Sunday and get back to work on Monday. I just figure teams that have to drive that long can take off Monday, versus most having to take off Friday to get set-up in time.

I think the concept of tying to an event on Friday and Saturday (Music, beer gardens, etc.) makes sense, along with the church thing.

I think as much as it depends on the teams, it may be more for the general public. Remember that most of the comps are sponsored and as such they want to reach as much of the public as possible. IMHO, it's easier to get people to stop by for a couple of hours Friday Night and then again on Saturday morning than Saturday night & Sunday morning.

As for me, I prefer having Sunday for unpacking and clean up.

I think the solution is to have 3 days weekends every weekend

I think as much as it depends on the teams, it may be more for the general public. Remember that most of the comps are sponsored and as such they want to reach as much of the public as possible. IMHO, it's easier to get people to stop by for a couple of hours Friday Night and then again on Saturday morning than Saturday night & Sunday morning.

As for me, I prefer having Sunday for unpacking and clean up.

I think the crowd thing makes a lot of sense. Organizers can promote bands, food, etc. Friday night, all day Sat and Sat evening much better than a Sat and Sunday event.

Here in the northeast all the comps are sat/sun. Only one I've seen that is close and does a fri/sat is New Holland PA. I will concur that having sunday as a lazy day is very nice but I have to take off friday to do it. So for me its either taking off friday or monday. six of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Most all PNWBA comps are Sat/Sun, we have some one day "Lite" comps usually on Saturdays. Occasionally there may be some overnight late load in's (6-9pm Sat) which I won't participate in-not cooker friendly IMO.

Back