My TD gone bad.....But saved PR0N

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I started out to do the Smoke Ring TD and thought..........mmmmm, Turkey breast and legs sound good. With that I used the Patio Daddio brine mix, soaked overnight, and then onto my UDS and some lump over cherry. Every thing was going as planned.....:bow: I was going to be a hero. Pulled the legs and they looked fabulous. then I grabbed the breast. And I must say that was one fine looking breast..........:icon_blush: But then truth came to bare.......were the fark is my smoke ring............:twitch: No smoke ring, no wonderful essence of cooking...............:mmph: So, dismayed, I cut it up, plated and had dinner:tsk: Well everyday brings a new dawn and with that ideas..........:hand: This can be salvaged.....yes we have the technology...........Turkey Pot Pie..............:clap2: So, the PR0N of my epic fail and then Phoenix rising........

Turkey in the Brine
100_1613-1.jpg

On the UDS
100_1617.jpg

Legs finished....didn't get the breast........I was, was...........:tsk:
100_1620.jpg

What next?...........Pot Pie!............:clap2:
100_1621.jpg

Veggies chopped. Onion, Celery, Carrot and Red Pepper
100_1623.jpg

Dough ready
100_1625.jpg

Pie plate ready
100_1626.jpg

Chicken Stock and turkey Gravy for the Roux mix
100_1624.jpg

Roux ready
100_1628.jpg

Pie plate filled with goodies
100_1629.jpg

Top crust added
100_1630.jpg

In between the last picture and this one, our sump pump blew up, while the pie was in the oven. That's a story for the WP. all cooked
100_1631.jpg

Finally after three days lets eat!
100_1633.jpg

That just might be the best looking failure I've ever seen. Give me a glass of sweet tea and I would be all over that.

Way to rebound!!

Looks good but I personally would not have chosen chicken for a smoke ring TD. Try my speed brisket link and I bet you'll win. I can't do it by the weekend.

What a save! That pot pie is just beautiful.

I think the problem with your turkey and the missing smoke ring was the mutant turkey... 4 legs and breast??? Just kidding :grin:

Then there may be a technical loophole that would still allow the entry? this needs further investigation............:heh:

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, that is so much better than smoked chicken plain.

Nice save! Impressed, saw the lard for your crust-REAL pie crust!
Nice looking filling base, I would skip the jar next time and go all in with a quick roux, skip the butter and use the lard!!
How many did you feed with that monster pie, anyhow?

Back