Have you changed your method or stayed the same?

sandiegobbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Have you gone from low and slow to hot and fast?

Have you changed from being a foiler to now an anti foiler?

Have you gone back to low and slow after trying hot and fast?

Have you stopped spritzing your meat during the cook?

Have you just stayed the course and haven't changed anything?

Have you changed from homemade rubs to commercial?

Gone from commercial to homemade rubs?

What changes have you made in your technique and why?

Changes I have made.

Now a hot and fast guy.

Use to foil ribs but lately have been doing them with no foil now still a work in progress.

Went from a wsm to a uds.

Homemade rubs since I started.

Still foil butts and brisket but am going to try doing them without.

Changed from being obsessive about temps to hardly worrying about them.

I have no method, I use every tool I have, based on what is called for. Therefore, I cannot 'change what I do'.

I had no method, so I have been trying them all, to see where I fit. Looking so far that I am a hot and fast/ foil guy with no injections/brines, for now...

My cooking is constantly evolving.
I try new ideas if they make sense to start with.
Keep all or parts of the latest attempt and move on to the next cook.

Works for me.

TIM

If you don't experiment and change, you don't learn! You bet I've changed. I've moved from charcoal and sticks to pellets. I've started cooking briskets fat side down. I've quit making my own rubs and found several commercial ones that are much better anyway. I've quit using a lot of sauce.

I hope I can keep on changing and growing, because when you stop you're deader than a beaver hat (immortal words of John Wayne).

Hub

I change constantly. I cook low and slow and hot and fast. I use my own rubs, marinades, injections and sauces, and I also use a great variety of commercial products. I sometimes foil and sometimes not. I combine cooking methods like smoked/fried, smoked/braised, smoked/grilled. I cook on everything from a charcoal chimney to a flower pot all the way up to a custom offset trailer and everything in between. For me, it's the variety that makes it fun and keeps it interesting.

I use all of those methods depending on what I am cooking, how much time I have, etc.

The only things that I used to do that I no longer do is use mustard as a base and spritz. My bark improved significantly when I stopped both and my cook times are much more consistent without all of the door opening to spritz.

The basics remain the same (after all I am a traditionalist. :mrgreen: ), however everything else is constantly changing to meet the needs of the moment.

I started low and slow, then converted to hot and fast, but then converted to medium and expedient.

Started with no foil, then switched to foiling, now I'm mostly a non-foiler, but sometimes I do.

I dropped my temps, but I would not call them "low and slow". They are not what I consider to be "hot and fast" either. I cook around 275. Some call that hot and fast. I consider hot and fast to begin around 300.

I only spritzed the first few cooks. Didn't take long to realize I wasn't really gaining anything by it.

Well, I still don't take myself too seriously, so that hasn't changed.

Not really, but I did start out only making my own rubs, and now I do own and use a lot of commercial rubs. However, I do think my rub is as good or better than the others. I just enjoy switching things up now and then, and when I do, I want a good product.

No, I started with home-made.

Not sure how to answer that. I either covered these above, or would have to reply with an autobiography.

I used to be a {gasp} gasser, hot and fast was the only way. Then I became a low and slow kind of guy {my wife kind of likes it that way:loco:}. But since I have been smoking my gas grill is real lonely. I do use foil a lot. My seasonings have changed dramatically because of what all of you do. All because of this and other forums.:clap2:

I'm constantly changing, when I find something I like I right it in my log. Then try to repeat it. But always trying new things and ideas

pwa

Yes I have for time purposes.:crazy:

Yes I have, I exclusively use red butcher paper due to a binding contract through a local paper supplier.

I kid about the contract were just blood brothers now :icon_devil.

I haven't completely gone back to low and slowwwwwww but I'm going to be starting off at 225 for a hour or two to achieve a better ring for brisket so yes and no.

I stop shortly after I started it was just slowing down cooks.

No I've made what changes I feel are the proper adjustments for better Q in my own mind :crazy::crazy:.

No

Yes I use a modified dalmatian rub for everything.

I use butcher paper for my brisket and give it a longer rest in the cooler, I use paper because I get a better bark then with foil. I use injections a lot with butts and brisket because I've tried it with out several times and I feel the product injected comes out just a little more moist but without is really good to sometimes I'm lazy and just season and throw the meat on. With ribs I've been cooking on a thin sheet pan with a cookie cooling rack to help with appearance kinda like a diffuser but I don't feel it eats up as much fuel. I also use paper and wrap it around the pan when it gets to the color I want at 275*-300* with some juice or whatever liquid I want in the pan before I wrap the pan with paper I leave the paper around the pan tell they come off to stop from getting any darker works well. I now have all the gadgets I feel I need, a thermapen and a DigiQ DX I use them all the time it makes for precision cooking. One doesn't really need them but ounce you get a ATC and a pen it just really steps up your Q game with better timing and consistent grub.

The Orange is me :heh:

I have to agree with most of the replies, I am always tinkering with something, from prep, to rubs, to cookers I have used my tried and true methods and have used information gathered from the brethren to tweak what I do. Some of it works and some I move away from, but to me that is the where the fun comes in trying something new, something old or any combo out there. If you dont have an open mind the you may very well miss the boat!!!!

I'm a creature of habit, so even when I've made an attempt to change a routine I usually end up migrating back anyway. I started cooking ribs like I first saw it done successfully, with a modified 3-2-1. Then out of necessity I tried it sans foil and it went great. Swore off foil and started getting less than desirable results and went back to foil and have continued with foil.

Tried hot & fast once. The drum didn't like it and the butts ended up taking 10 hours anyway, so I gave up trying.

Probably the only thing I have changed is rub. I used to make up a recipe that I liked. Then I tried some different fine FINE Brethren rubs (SM...:thumb:) and realized that there's no reason to fight it. There's so much quality stuff out there I can go ahead and be lazy.

I guess I also don't spritz or mustard slather anymore either.

But I DO still foil my crockpot pulled pork.:bow:

I forgot I also don't mustard slather anymore either the rub sticks just fine without it. So nobody other 16 people will talk about what they have changed/technique or stuck with thorough there Qs..... strange.......

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Being a relatively NEWB when it comes to smoking ( just made my own UDS last September ) and I've had really good results, overall. But I have had a couple of "dry" meat results, too. So I've tried fast and hot, to low and slow. My preference is low and slow, but I will do a fast and hot Boston Butt if it is pretty large and most are. Best I can say about stuck in the rut......is I am when it came to rubs. I got my rub recipe from out of the recipes section. My wife liked it and that was it, we never changed to anything else. The wife has to have a supporting vote.

Done both. Mostly I'm a L&S guy but sometimes time is not on my side and I go H&F.

I wouldn't call myself an "anti-foiler", I just don't use it when I cook. I do use it after a cook to cover the meat while it rests.

I don't spritz period.

I haven't changed my cooker. Grew up on a 55 gallon drum horizontal cooker and still there today.

I've tried the commercial stuff but I generally stick with S&P and garlic powder.

One thing I've learned is to try new cooking ideas and then make up my mind what I like best.

Another thing is to cook with those who will eat my Q in mind. I don't want to cook something they won't eat.

Most important to me that my mind is set on is "It's done when it's done". You can't be in a hurry and turn out great Q.

Back