View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #11163
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I have to be honest I have never cooked two butts at the same time. But I also have a weber kettle cover that I would use IF my flat top was not good enough.

I too was stubborn at first, and wanted to use a water pan. It was always a chit show. I moved the smoker one time and water fell into my fire. Trying to fill the pan was always a pain to remove all your racks since i have to tilt my racks to have them slide past my bolts. Then I try'd pouring water into the pan from a picture and spill some into fire. At the end I wud just give up and let the pan go dry. Then like I said, one time I was smoking 3 racks of BB ribs and I saw water drip out of the air intake. And that was when I said this dam smoker don't need any more moister. But don't tkae my word for it, learn the hard way like the rest of us ;)

BTW you also burn through more fuel w/ a water pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Thank-you very much for the detailed response.

So, you have 5" above your middle rack, and 5 1/4" above your top rack (minus the lid?). Is that enough space for butts on both racks?

I am struggling with the "no water pan or diverter" concept. I am telling myself to just try it out and see for myself. But, indirect heat is so engrained in me, and I can't believe that having coals directly below the meat, doesn't violate the "indirect" concept. Also, many people talk about how the meat cooks faster in a UDS. Does that mean it is more of a high-heat cook, and not low-and-slow?

Have you ever tried just a diverter - instead of the water pan?
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote