Left My Brisket Out

I wouldnt worry one bit

+1
When I cook briskets they sit in the cambro overnight with rub on em for 7 hrs before they hit the pit never not once got anyone sick. My grandpa did it, my uncle does it, my buddy Jason does it. That's why we get 15 lber done in 5-6 hrs.

I've done this plenty of times before on purpose, never been sick yet.

It only takes once. The thing about food safety is the "Russian Roulette" aspect of it. Odds are the OP will be fine. But the risk is there, and very real.
In the future you may think about using one of the recognized safe methods of thawing. In a pinch, you can thaw a large cut of meat under cold running water in a couple hours. Otherwise, the fridge is the best bet.

When I was in the Navy they thawed meat on the counters over night every night and they probably still do.

If it were chicken or pork, I would probably trash it - with beef, no worries at all for me. If beef is infected, it's probably related more to the environment rather than the temperatures. Water boils at 100c (212F) - boiling water is used for sterilising things. Most cooks will be done at sustained temps over 212F right? Should be fine.

I've been thawing briskets like that all my life and it ain't kilt me yet!!! If it were exposed raw chicken or turkey then there might be an issue but not sealed beef, also beef has a rather distinctive sour odor when it's bad and you probably would have noticed it as soon as you opened it.

You should be fine. I will say that if you had put it in the fridge last night before going to bed, it woudl still be half frozen so this seems to be the only way that brisket was going to get cooked today.

A note of precaution...

If the same piece was left out at a restaurant overnight... would've been trashed by now.

You would think, but you'd be wrong.

I took this pic at a Mexican joint I was doing electrical work on. I was there at 10pm the night before when it was put out and I was there at 1030am the next day when the FIRST couple bags of chunks were sent to be used for the buffet.

Loving that chicken juice and beef juice in pools on the floor. That would be the same floor that literally inches away they were mixing guacamole up on in a pot using an immersion blender.

....not saying it's like this in ALL restaurants!!!! Just that it's not good to assume they all care about our safety or have good scruples .

Attachments

• yuck.jpg
    yuck.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 88
I did the same last night with a pork butt and was wondering the same thing, except I put mine back in the fridge since I didn't plan on cooking it until Saturday and had no other choice since I had to go to work.Do you think mine will be ok to smoke now or should I toss it? I left it out from 7pm to 5:30am in a dry sink (it was in cryo as well)

Thanks all for the opinions. It seemed to be somewhat a split decision. I usually err on the side of caution so I didn't risk it. My usual method is fridge thawing but I was in a hurry and just screwed up and forgot about it. Oh the humanity of throwing that baby away.

I did the same last night with a pork butt and was wondering the same thing, except I put mine back in the fridge since I didn't plan on cooking it until Saturday and had no other choice since I had to go to work.Do you think mine will be ok to smoke now or should I toss it? I left it out from 7pm to 5:30am in a dry sink (it was in cryo as well)

Not with pork. Toss it, why take the chance. Pork way worse than beef about going bad.

Back