BOD Meeting Vote - What's Your Opinion?

I still have your Jack chicken picture... It's on my office wall, next to the Felda and Butt-to-butt pictures....

Our 1st Place Chefs Choice at the Jack from a couple years ago runs in the picture rotation on the KCBS site... I dont remember anyone asking my permission! :roll:

It's an ancillary category. That's what the topic refers to. It doesn't count, who REALLY cares? It's not like they gave out the recipe or anything. As if judges don't go around and talk in depth, about the fabulous desserts that were at their table?

Jack Daniels, prime example. I don't know why they wouldn't let Ray take any pictures. They have bleachers set up for people to watch the judging of ALL categories. Don't you think there were some telephoto lenses hooked to some of those cameras?

Don't we have bigger fish to fry???

Well, I was planning to do fried fish for my next AB entry. Thanks for blowing that for me. :biggrin:

Well, I was planning to do fried fish for my next AB entry. Thanks for blowing that for me. :biggrin:

I think you should practice at home first and have your friends come over to help you tweak anything that needs to be tweaked.... :roll:

Our 1st Place Chefs Choice at the Jack from a couple years ago runs in the picture rotation on the KCBS site... I dont remember anyone asking my permission! :roll:

Thanks for that info! I forgot that I also have the one that ISS!!! did from 2 years ago...

Man, I should start a book... Make a ton of money and you guys get stiffed... That's how we roll.....

I don't know why they wouldn't let Ray take any pictures. They have bleachers set up for people to watch the judging of ALL categories. Don't you think there were some telephoto lenses hooked to some of those cameras?

I'm pretty sure that many of the other judges took pics of everything without asking and it wasn't mentioned in the judges meeting. It just seemed right to ask. My TC asked the rep for me and he said no. The rep and I aren't very close so that might have had something to do with it.

I'm pretty sure that many of the other judges took pics of everything without asking and it wasn't mentioned in the judges meeting. It just seemed right to ask. My TC asked the rep for me and he said no. The rep and I aren't very close so that might have had something to do with it.

Michael still loves you, so you have one friend at least. :wink:

Jeff, I'm following along with you and Ray that this is probably not really the rep's place to be announcing what was turned in. My question is, wouldn't that be the type of thing that should be handled in committee? I don't know what the procedures for issuing a rep advisory is, but I would think that as committee chair, Carol should be able to forward a note to reps to remind them of what their duties are and are not.

I think that telling the crowd what was turned in doesn't hurt anyone anymore than advertising your sponsors products. I can see how organizers would want to tell people what it was that won their contest. I don't think its the reps place to tell the public, but I could see how KCBS might want that information in a post comp report from the rep.

It's an ancillary category. That's what the topic refers to. It doesn't count, who REALLY cares? It's not like they gave out the recipe or anything. As if judges don't go around and talk in depth, about the fabulous desserts that were at their table?

In this particular case, a world class cook cared. He was pretty pissed.

I saw the dish go on the cooker, I saw it turned in. I could not reproduce it if you asked me to. The cook is a friend of mine, and he would not tell me(which was totally cool with me). I could not have told you what it was until the rep announced it.

I clearly don't care, I always share my dessert or anything butt leftovers with my friends.

At this comp the rep was announcing the awards, but whether it's the rep or an organizer, asking the cook would seem to be better form. That's what they did at ABA last week, that's what they do at Emporia and Laurie.

Respecting the wishes of the cook seems like a good idea.

I do not think that as a Rep I should have the privilege of describing your turn in box in the four meat categories or any other to a judge, another cook or anyone. Now I am at liberty to take notes of a cooks and without any recourse tell or publish what a cook does. I think it should be proprietary to the cook. Let the cook share if he desires. This allows a KCBS contest rep to be in charge. I guess the price of cooking classes may go down, just ask the rep about a specific cook's turn in's.

But the Board said is ok. That is the rule of the Board. And therefore I will support what the board said.

I hope that Brethren will finally pay attention to who is looking out for the cooks and who does not.

Merl

Jack Daniels, prime example. I don't know why they wouldn't let Ray take any pictures. They have bleachers set up for people to watch the judging of ALL categories. Don't you think there were some telephoto lenses hooked to some of those cameras?

Don't we have bigger fish to fry???

This is not as minimal as you make it, Steph. What brought it to the board was an ancillary, but that was not the issue presented to the Board. We have rules agains photographs, with certain limited exceptions for media. I just can't imagine, if I posted descriptions of the slabs.com boxes that you would not be all over me.

But now the Board said it is permissible in all categories!

This is not as minimal as you make it, Steph. What brought it to the board was an ancillary, but that was not the issue presented to the Board. We have rules agains photographs, with certain limited exceptions for media. I just can't imagine, if I posted descriptions of the slabs.com boxes that you would not be all over me.

Merl, if KCBS has rules on not taking photos and such. How is it that pictures were posted from KCBS contests in the Bullsheet?

I don't get that?

Here is my perspective as an organizer:

I happen to have the privilege of working with some excellent Reps at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren. They have been VERY proactive about photos, only making limited exceptions for media or the events own promotional use.

As an organizer, I wouldn't have a problem overruling a Rep as long as my decision doesn't break the rules of the KCBS. So, while I wouldn't give carte blanche taking photos throughout the judging (as that would be against KCBS rules, as I understand them); I wouldn't have a problem saying NO photos are allowed (as the KCBS certainly has no ability to force an organizer to allow photos).

If teams expressed a concern to me (the cooks meeting would be a good time) about photos, it would definitely be something that I would address.

If this isn't something that the KCBS will assert control of, and it is a concern, ask the organizer to take action.

Eric

I'm not all about the photo thing. Lots of folks know what my boxes look like, but i only broadcast photos of some of them; and I control it. Saying what someone turned in for an ancilary catagory, and showing pics of the main 4 catagory entries at entries are two different things.

Again, knowing I made cheesecake, or key lime pie, should not effect my advantage -- showing a pic of my turn-in, could. Interesting topic. I know several of the events I attended include a statement about all pictures/likenesses/ etc. being thier property for any promotion, etc they would like to do. So potentially - that organizer could put up a slideshow of entries (wouldnt have names or anything on them) that someone could see and go "oh, that is a nice box"... but I have only seen that happen a couple times. And unless you recognized that entry, you would not know who you were shiggin' or how it scored.

Interesting topic here...

This allows a KCBS contest rep to be in charge. I guess the price of cooking classes may go down, just ask the rep about a specific cook's turn in's.

Merl, I'll come see you about 20 minutes after turn ins at Buckeye this weekend. :wink: I'll bring a pencil and something to write on. Any chance I could get you to wear a spy cam?

Well now this is out in the open, who was it? What did they cook? I also agree it is no big deal they announced it. You still need to duplicate. If they followed a cookbook or recipe, it's probably not their dish anyway!

What? I'm not gonna bite.....

Well now this is out in the open, who was it? What did they cook? I also agree it is no big deal they announced it. You still need to duplicate. If they followed a cookbook or recipe, it's probably not their dish anyway!

It was my Schweaty Balls.

Back