Books

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I want to buy a book on smoking etc. I have the Smoke and Spice book.

It doesnt really have to have a lot of recipies, more of like a how to book with good info on the art

I am looking at Myron Mixon's book, I thought I saw a book called "How to Start a Fire" or something like that mentioned here, but i cant find it

any recommendations on good reading material would be appreciated.

thanks

Hey guys-

I want to buy a book on smoking etc. I have the Smoke and Spice book.

It doesnt really have to have a lot of recipies, more of like a how to book with good info on the art

I am looking at Myron Mixon's book, I thought I saw a book called "How to Start a Fire" or something like that mentioned here, but i cant find it

any recommendations on good reading material would be appreciated.

thanks

There are so many good books out there including the "Smoke and Spice" book you have. There will be many suggestions, all good reading books.

Your best bet is to decide which way you want to move forward, and follow that path.

Two more I would recommend would be;

"Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design" by Stanley Marianski, this is probably too much information, but it does go into how and why without recipes. Also talks about curing meats (Hams, Corned Beef, Ect).

"Peace, Love, and BBQ" by Mike Mills. a book with stories, recipes, and information.

I just got a copy of "Low & Slow" by Gary Wiviott for Christmas. Haven't used it yet, but it came very highly recommended by quite a few people here, and I'm really excited to try it when things warm up a bit. Again, more of a tutorial than a recipe book, and from what I've seen it requires a great deal of patience, but it looks to be well worth it.

I just purchased Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly last night, it's high on a lot of folks lists .

Any of Dr. BBQ's, and Peace Love and BBQ. To start with I think Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook has recipes that you will use over and over.

Peace, Love and BBQ is my favorite. Serious BBQ by Adam Perry Lang is also very good. Any of Dr. BBQ's books are good.

Here's another recent thread with more recommendations...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142163

Someone needs to seriously come out with a black market version of Serious Barbecue. Jk, but ya. Dr BBQ's books are especially good if you're a kamado cooker (i think thats his specialty).

Not sure what your experience level is but this is a good book for a beginner [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Fire-Beginners-Lip-Smacking-Barbecue/dp/1452103038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358352526&sr=8-1&keywords=slowfire"]Slow Fire: The Beginner's Guide to Lip-Smacking Barbecue: Ray "DR. BBQ" Lampe: 9781452103037: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

+1 on Chris Lillys book, Myrons Mixons book.. Just go to amazon and search bbq books and read some reviews and pick one that interest you.

I have the Myron Mixon book and only have tried 2 of the recipes so far but I've been impressed with both. Soon wanting to pick up some more though

Legends of Texas BBQ is a good cookbook, also has lots of cool stories. Wicked Good BBQ is another good one.

Back